Chapter 24: Until The End

Guys- I need help. I'm fucking running out of TLOU pictures to use for the headers. I can't believe it- the day has come. Anyways! Here we go! Originally, this final part was supposed to be two chapters. But, I'm an overachiever and I want to finally give this book the end it deserves, so I'm cramming everything into this final chapter, then I'll wrap it up in the epilogue. Hopefully I have enough photos.

Also it is insane how fast you guys vote and comment on chapters like- damn dude let me get some break time lmao. I'm kidding, by the way, this support is fantastic. I'm trying my best to crunch out this chapter because we are so close to getting it done. But these chapters take a minute. I still can't believe I went from doing 2k words a chapter to 5k plus in between chapters 19 and 20. Although if I hadn't done so, we could be looking at around 30+ chapters. Anyways, that's enough rambling, let's get this going.

"Get off me!" She shouted, trying to knock Y/N back. "Ellie, Ellie! It's me!" Y/N tried to say, turning her around so she could see him. "It's me." He continued, and slowly he watched her start to break down. "He tried to-" Ellie started, her voice raspy and breaking as some sobs came out. Y/N brought her closer, letting her sob into his shoulder. "I got you, I got you sweetheart." He said softly, and Joel walked up behind them. He rested a hand on Ellie's head for a moment, before sighing softly and standing back up. "We have to get moving." He stated, and Y/N nodded. The teenager stood up, carrying Ellie now as they let her work through the pain she just went through. And with that, they ran.

Chapter 24

The voices beyond her were muffled, nothing but background noise as Ellie focused fully on the images carved into stone in front of her. A deer, how that reminded her of simpler times. "Ellie!" Joel finally caught her attention, snapping the girl out of her daydream-like state. "Did you hear anything I said?" Joel asked, looking a bit exasperated. "No, what?" Ellie relied, and Joel gave a huff. "Y/N says he saw something up ahead. And there's a sign that says hospital. This is where we get off." Joel spoke, giving a soft sigh. "Let's go kiddo." He waved, and they began their walk. Y/N was a bit up ahead, he had gone scouting to clear the area of any possible infected.

"You feel that breeze? On a day like this, I'd just sit on my porch and pick away at my six string." Joel spoke softly, looking down at the unusually unresponsive Ellie in front of him. "You know, once we're done with this whole thing, I'm gonna teach you two how to play guitar." Still no response. "Yeah... I'd reckon you would really like that. What do you say?" Joel continued on, and then there still wasn't a respond. "Ellie, I'm talking to you." He clarified finally, and now Ellie reacted, like she was snapping out of a dream. "Huh? Oh yeah sure, sounds great." She said half-heartedly, and Joel just gave another sigh. They made their way down the highway some more, and Joel took a moment to loot an empty RV.

When he left, he saw Ellie standing by a bus with a plane painted on the side. "I dreamt about flying the other night." She stated, and Joel walked up next to her. "Oh yeah?" Joel prodded, and Ellie just gave a bit of a nod. "Go on, tell me about it." Joel spoke, and Ellie seemed a little more excited. "So, I'm on this big plane full of people, and everyone is screaming 'cause the plane's going down. So I walk to the cockpit, open the door, but there's no pilot. I try to use the controls but... I obviously have no clue how to fly a plane. And right before we crash... I wake up." Ellie monologued, looking up to Joel. "I've never been on a plane, isn't that weird?" Ellie asked, and Joel gave a soft huff. He did that a lot.

"Well you know, dreams are weird." Joel went on, but it was clear he wouldn't go into his own dreams. "I dunno, Y/N says his dreams are just him killing a whole bunch of infected with different weapons each time." Ellie said, and Joel gave a bit of a sigh. He knew the feeling. "I swear, all that kid knows is killing." He muttered, and Ellie seemed to agree. "Yo! What's taking so long?" A voice called out, and the two looked over to the exit off the highway and saw Y/N waving at them. "C'mon." Joel waved to Ellie, and the two walked over towards Y/N. The trio made their way off a highway, Joel himself went up ahead while the other two were whispering to each other behind him.