Chapter 11: Ain't Dead Yet

Did ya'll know that the Troy Baker and Nolan North (The actors of Joel and David respectively) have a series where they play through The Last of Us and commentate on it? That's what I've been using to help write this story, and honestly it's really cool to watch them play and talk about the game. If you want to check it out, it's called The Last of Us| Definitive Playthrough. Alright, Enjoy!

"Ellie!" Joel called, snapping them both out of it. Y/N realized they couldn't find anything, so he told Ellie to go hold up the chain. He himself went over to help Joel keep it held up. "Alright, go!" Y/N said, now struggling himself as he and Ellie kept it up. Joel got under, now in the room with them as Ellie let go of the chain. Y/N and Joel managed to set it down quietly, leaving them in the room. Joel looked back to see the room they were in, with corpses all laid out on tables. "Oh lovely, Hunters."

Chapter 11

"Geez, look." Ellie said as she looked down at one of the corpses. "Goddamn hunters, see this coulda been us." Joel pointed out, but Y/N was just looking at it with a distant look. Hunters... he hated hunters. They took away the people he was supposed to protect, his friends. "That is a lot of people that didn't make it." Ellie pointed out, picking up a nearby shoe for a minute. "I knew I should've turned that damn car around." Joel muttered as he looked around for any sort of supplies. "We lived." Ellie offered up as silver lining. "Barely." Y/N responded, instead of Joel.

The three made their way through a door, scouring the building slowly as they were all on alert. "How'd you know?" Ellie asked as they were going up some stairs. "Know what?" Joel asked, looking back at her for a minute. "About the ambush." She clarified, looking mainly to Y/N. "I've been on both sides." Joel said bluntly, looking away as he headed up the stairs. "Its happened to me before." Y/N answered, not giving anything else.

"Oh." Ellie said softly, watching as Joel walked ahead. "Y/N? Are you alright? You seem distant... like back in Boston, and again when we got that battery." Ellie said, causing the boy to stop for a minute to look at her. "Don't worry about me, I'll always be alright. I'm gonna protect you, after all." He said, giving her a smile that she didn't see. They went ahead to catch up with Joel as they walked into another room.

"So uh.. you kill a lot of innocent people?" Ellie asked, earning nothing but an incoherent grumble from Joel. "I'll take that as a yes. What about you?" She asked, now looking over to Y/N. "Innocent people? I think the first was that solider I shot to save Joel. The rest haven't been all too innocent. Then you know the rest." He reminisced, remembering the moment where he first met them. "Right... sorry about that." Ellie answered, looking away a little sheepishly.

They spent a couple more minutes of looking around before they walked through a door, now heading out of the building. The first sight they were met with another pile of smoldering corpses, leaving them all looking a little worried at the sight. "I don't think they were infected," Ellie pointed out, making Y/N shake his head. "It Don't matter, let's keep moving." Joel waved, leading them up some more stairs.

"Alright, there's the bridge, right over there. That's our way out." Joel said, pointing off towards the yellow bridge in the distance. He looked back, only to find that the other two had already hopped down. "Hey guys, wait for me!" He called, following after them with an annoyed look on his face. "What? We're right here." Ellie said, slowing down a bit so Joel could catch up.

"How 'bout y'all let me go first, and keep your voices down." Joel ordered, motioning his hand for them to quiet down. "Okay." Ellie answered, but this time she made her voice deep to imitate Joel, which left the other two laughing. "Oh man, that was spot on." Y/N complimented, watching Joel shake his head as he hopped down onto the road below.