Chapter 10: Ambush

They were able to push it down the street, with Y/N giving covering fire for the two in the back. Luckily, there was a downhill slope they could shove the car down. This time, Ellie was able to get it started. "Hell yeah." Y/N celebrated, looking back to see Joel and Bill hauling ass down the hill. They both jumped into the bed of the truck as infected came rushing after them. "Go!" Joel called, hitting the back of the cab slightly to get them going, and Ellie hit that gas. And they got to watch as the neighborhood passed them by.

Chapter 10

"Alright, this'll do!" Bill called from his spot in the bed of the truck. Ellie stopped the truck, looking back at the two who were getting out of the bed of the truck. Joel looked back at the two in the cab for a moment, "Just keep her running," he said, jumping out to follow Bill. "Those kids nearly got us killed." Bill said, grumbling as he picked up his supplies. "Ya gotta admit, they held their own pretty well.

Bill gave a sort of fake laugh as he walked off, turning to look at Joel. "You ain't gonna make it." Bill stated, laughing a bit more until he seemed to remember something. "Here." Bill said, tossing Joel a gas pump. "You'd be amazed at how many cars still got good gas in 'em." Bill said, putting his backpack back on. "Appreciate it. Look, Bill, about your buddy back there, that's a tough deal. And I'm..." Joel trailed off, watching as Bill just sighed.

"We square?" He asked, looking at Joel. "We're square," Joel answered, looking down at the gas pump for a moment. "Then get the fuck outta my town." Bill stated, pointing off as he turned and walked away from the group. Joel nodded as he walked away, heading back to the truck. "Move it." He said simply, watching as Ellie moved into the back of the truck so Joel could hop in.

~~~
Rain was coming down now as the truck moved across the road, now miles away from Bill's Town. Joel was driving the truck, trying to keep himself awake. It had been a rough couple of days for both of them, and they didn't really have any sleep. Y/N was in the passenger seat, his head against the window as he slept soundly. Ellie was supposed to be asleep in the back... but it was clear she was.

"Oh man." She called out suddenly, startling Joel. "Hey, what happened to sleeping?" Joel asked as he looked in rear view mirror to see her laying back there. Ellie day up with a comic book in her hands. "Ok, I know it doesn't look like it, but this here is not a bad read. Only one problem," Ellie said, now holding up the comic to show the last page. "Right there, 'to be continued.'" She finished, scoffing quietly and closing up the comic. "I hate cliffhangers."

"Where did you get that?" Joel asked, but he already had a guess as to where it came from. "Uh..." Ellie stammered for a moment, "Back at Bill's. I mean, all this stuff was just laying there." She defended, earning a sigh from Joel. "What else did ya get?" He asked, defeated as she reached back into her bag. Now, Y/N had woken up, but he kept his eyes closed so he could just listen. There was no point in interrupting this moment. 

"Here, this make you all nostalgic?" She asked, bringing out a cassette tape. "Y'know, That is actually before my time." Joel pointed out, reaching back to grab the tape. He took a second to read it, smiling slightly when he did. "That is a winner though." He claimed as he put it into a cassette player the truck conveniently had. Music started playing from it soon after. "Well, better than nothing." Ellie said, which caused Joel to shake his head. "Oh, and I'm sure your friend will be missing this tonight." Ellie claimed, pulling what seemed to be a magazine from her bag.

Joel didn't really answer as he paid attention to the road, letting Ellie open it up. "Light on the reading, but it's got some interesting photos," she claimed, flipping through the pictures. Now this caught Joel's attention as he looked in the rear view again to see what she had. "Now, Ellie- That ain't for kids." He tried to say as he looked back at her. "Whoa!" Ellie reacted when she opened up another part of it. She had the flip the magazine to get the full photo as she turned so her and Joel could both see it.