Chapter 18: The Dam

Start from the beginning

From there they didn't talk much as they walked along the river, Y/N was studying the water as it rushed past them. It had been a long journey for all of them, but this just felt so much closer to the end. As they trailed along, a giant building seemed to come into view of them. "Woah, what's that?" Ellie asked as they approached it, seeing the water flowing through it. "That is a Hydroelectric Power Plant." Joel answered, staring at it for himself for a moment. "A Hydra who?" Y/N asked, completely out of the loop.

"It uh... uses the river's movement and turns it into electricity." Joel tried explaining as they went up onto a platform. "How's it do that?" Ellie asked, rubbing her head slightly in confusion. "Look, I know what it is, I don't know how it does it." Joel finally answered, sighing to himself as they found themselves in a predicament. "All right, how are we getting across?" Ellie asked, pointing to the mass of water in between them and the other side. Meanwhile, Y/N was kicking a door down to get some supplies.

Joel eventually made his way over to find a wheel looking thing, and he put his effort behind turning it. A platform started to move up, going until it created some sort of pathway to the other side. Well, half of one. "Well, that gets us halfway." Ellie pointed out, Joel shaking his head at it. "Looks like the other one is on the other side. Of course." Y/N stated, pointing to the same mechanism across the gap. "Stay here, I'll figure something out." Joe stated, looking around the area. He walked over to the edge and seemed to spot something down in the water.

"Goddamn." Joel whispered under his breath, before diving down into the water. Y/N blinked a couple of times before looking back to Ellie. "I bet you a can of corn he's coming back up with a pallet." He said, a grin on his face. "No way, he probably just found a way around." Ellie said, crossing her arms as she took the boy up on his deal. Sure enough, Joel resurfaced with another pallet. "Oh What the fuck?" Ellie asked, while Y/N started laughing next to her. "Oh man, that's amazing."

Joel pushed it over to the edge, where Y/N was just starting to recover from his laughing. "Alright Ellie, I need you to..." Joel started, but he was quickly cut off. "I know, step on the fucking pallet." Ellie complained, but she carefully got into the floating platform. Joel carefully took her across the water, pushing it up to a side that Ellie could get up. From there, Ellie was able to get the mechanism and get the other half of the makeshift bridge turned over. "Be careful crossing that thing!" Ellie warned as Y/N and Joel both made their way across.

"Teamwork!" Ellie said, holding a hand up for Joel to high-five, which he did. Although she took it down when Y/N got across. "Aww, What did I do wrong?" Y/N asked, putting on a fake innocent look. "You swindled me." Ellie answered, trying to look mad but the two just laughed it off. "Come on, lets just get to Tommy's." Joel said, moving them on as they got closer to dam, heading up some rocks. "Ughh, I'm so hungry." Ellie complained, looking at Y/N specifically when she said that. "I know, I am to." Joel said from up front. "Ok, next squirrel I see, I'm totally shooting it." Ellie said, pulling out her handgun to prove her point.

"Let's get past this place, then we can scrounge up some food." Joel answered, crouching under a fallen tree. "Well, If I starve, both of you are responsible." Ellie stated, and Y/N sighed. He moved behind her, opening up her backpack quickly and dropping in the can of corn he supposedly "stole" "There, I'm not that hungry anyways." Y/N lied, catching up to Joel as they got to the front of the dam. "Should we go in?" Ellie asked as they looked at the front. "No way around; we're gonna have to." Joel answered, causing Y/N to sigh. "My money is on infected."

Joe made his way up to the gate, trying to open it up but it wasn't making a budge. Y/N and Ellie noticed some movement, and looked around. In the matter of seconds, guns were aimed at them. The teenagers pulled out there own, both looking at different sides as Joel backed up slowly. "Don't even think about pulling out your weapon, and tell the kids to drop theirs to!" A woman spoke out, staring them down. "Ellie, Y/N, Do as the lady says." Joel said, giving both of them a look. Ellie was hesitant, but she raised her hands. Y/N didn't seem to want to budge, he was dead set on keeping the gun. "Y/N, drop it." Joel warned, causing the boy to scoff, but he followed Ellie's lead.