Epilogue

"You said you needed to talk to me?" Rueben's voice drew me out my daze. I had been sitting cross-legged on the park's grass for who knows how long before he came. Rueben sat next to me, looking a bit worried.

I continued gazing at the sky as I spoke. "You are my first love you know. It's weird admitting it out loud but you are. You had liked me when I was seen as unattractive by society, and for whatever reason, you decided you liked me." I tore my gaze from the clouds, looking at Rueben who looked both surprised and confused. "High school was hard. Being fat made me an easy target for most. A large part of my life my weight had made people treat me differently. What I loved about you was that you never seemed to care... until you did." I took a deep breath as painful gashes in my heart reopened. "It had hurt so much when I realized you were beginning to become embarrassed by me." Rueben's face flashed with guilt as I brought up the past. The time he began ignoring me. Avoiding me in public, and only seeing me in secret. I had caught on quickly. A small part of me had began expecting that behavior as time progressed in the fat phobic environment.

"I thought you were different, but I should have figured you'd be affected by Trent seeing as he is your best friend. When you started talking to me again, I was so happy. I thought we could just move on like nothing happened, but I began to wonder..." I took another breath. "Would you have wanted to get back together if I was still fat?"

Rueben looked dumbfounded as he pondered my words. "I-" he sighed, rubbing his neck. He was uncomfortable, but this was an uncomfortable conversation.  "Honestly, Maya. Your weight never bothered me at first. Yea, I knew you were fat, but I liked you. Fat doesn't equal ugly. My mom is fat and she's one of the most beautiful people I know. But Trent influenced me to think otherwise. I was young, and impressionable so I listened to him. People kept saying all these mean things about you to me and I... I listened." He grabbed my hand, bringing his forehead to meet my knuckles. "I'm so, so sorry for treating you the way I did."

I lifted his head up, giving him a small smile. "I know you are." I swallowed thickly, emotions from the past rising within me. "It still doesn't change what happened. I forgive you, and a part of me with always hold you close to my heart, but you are the company you keep, and you still keep Trent's company. No matter what, I'll always wonder when you'll decide I'm not good enough, or pretty enough for you. Wonder when Trent's words take control of your actions. When you'll leave me again. That isn't fair to me. Your friend has caused way more pain than you know. For me. Erica. Kayla. And everyone else he decided to show his dark side, yet you stay with him." I pulled my hands out of his grasp, rubbing them on my jeans. "What does that say about you?"

His hazel eyes widened in realization. "I-" he paused, rubbing his hands down his face. "You're right." I remained silent. I said all I needed to say.

"You've brought me much joy, Rue. I'll always be thankful for the sweet memories you have given me. But that doesn't erase the pain you caused, nor does it erase your actions. I wish it did, but I can't keep pretending I'm not affected by your past choices. It isn't fair to either of us." I rose from my position. "Goodbye, Rueben."

*********************************************************************************************

That's a wrap folks!

If you made it this far, thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed.

I have a whole other part of this story written about Maya when she just started highschool. I'm still thinking to publish that but I'm not sure I will.

What do you think? Would any of you be interested in reading it?

Thanks again for sticking around. Have a lovely day, night, in-between

~AJ