Tiredness and Traitors

Start from the beginning

"I am still on duty, Arthur."

"Shame.  I was hoping for a dance."

Merlin faltered.  Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the crowd of nobles assembling for a dance.  At a feast, a dance was a formal thing.  It was complicated.  It was something you had to be taught.  It was also completely above Merlin's station.  "You're mocking me, aren't you?"

"You know," Arthur grinned, "your wit never ceases to amaze me, Merlin." 

"You're an—"

Arthur pressed a finger against Merlin's lips.  "It is very improper to insult the Prince during a feast."

Merlin scowled.  "Can I go now?"

Arthur moved his finger from Merlin's mouth. "Yes," he grinned, flicking one of the feathers in Merlin's hat, "you may go."

~~~

True to his word, Merlin only spent a few minutes in the kitchens. The place was bustling with activity; servants were coming and going, exchanging empty plates for clean ones piled with food, shovelling logs onto fires and making sure everything was cooked to perfection. It was hardly the place to stop for a break.

Quietly, he refilled his jug under the watchful gaze of the cook, who had never warmed to him, and then left under the pretence of returning to the feast, but instead wandered into a nearby corridor. It was deserted. Music from the dance drifted faintly through the passage and became almost eerie in the emptiness of the place, with its cold stone walls and dusty cobwebs. It was like listening to a gathering of ghosts, as if the dance was nothing more than the last echo of people who had long since died.

It was oddly beautiful.

Merlin placed the jug on a windowsill and stared out at the stars. Night had long since fallen, and the grounds were hidden in darkness and shadows. Though the castle had been lit with torches and candles, Merlin found the light of the stars far more beautiful. There was something ethereal about them.

"Long night?"

Merlin jumped.

"Relax," Gwaine chuckled, "only me."

"What are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

Merlin laughed.  "I wanted a break."

"Understandable.  I'd need a break too if I was forced to wear that and run around all night filling up drinks."

"Yes, it's strange how much water you all wanted considering how I only ever saw you drinking alcohol."

"Just one of the mysteries of the world."

Merlin rolled his eyes.  If he had to guess, he'd say Gwaine was already a little drunk; his dark hair seemed slightly disheveled and no longer held the daisy that had been tucked behind his ear, the neckline of his shirt had somehow gotten lower, and he smelt faintly of alcohol.  He may as well have spent the evening in the Tavern.

"Fancy rejoining the party?" Gwaine grinned.  "I'm sure Arthur's missing you."

"He won't have even noticed I'm still gone."