THE EX-FILES

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE | the ex-files

Wakey Wakey, Upper East Siders. Welcome to the first day of senior year and the onset of a new social dynasty. The big question is, with Serena single and on top of the world will Constance become the house of Van Der Woodsen?

MADELEINE SAT SIPPING on a mug of tea, Eric was busy buttering his toast while his mother and sister gossiped. Madeleine wasn't particularly listening, her mind was too occupied with Nate, and Catherine, and the fact she could be with Nate; because of Catherine.

Chuck arrived at the small table, a smile graced his features, "Welcome home—."

"Say mom and I will kill you in your sleep." Serena interjected, earning a giggle from Madeleine.

"Decaf Serena." He pointed out. "And I was going to say, Mrs Bass." He drawled, kissing the back of Lily's hand. Madeleine rolled her eyes at him, finishing her mug of tea.

"Thank you Charles," Lily smiled. "Bart has to fly out to Beijing on business, but he sends his best."

Chuck rolled his eyes at the announcement, it was nothing new for the chocolate hair boy. "As he has done since kindergarten."

"At least you got sent 'their best.' I used to get nothing of the sort brother dearest." Madeleine sighed, swinging her bag onto her shoulder. "I'll see you later, Aunt Lil."

Madeleine kisses her Aunt's cheek before heading towards the elevator, holding on to her refillable coffee cup. Which as usual was filled with chai tea.

"Brother dearest?" Serena asked her mother in bewilderment.

"It's a joke, Serena." Chuck said, "I call her sister."

Blair met her red headed best friend at the gates of the school, a large smile on her face. "What's the shit eating grin for, B?" Madeleine asked with a giggle.

"It's time to recruit some projects, M, and I need all the help I can get." Blair said sweetly, linking their arms together.

The two sat on the top step, Nelly and Penelope a few steps below; the latter sneering at Madeleine every chance she got.

"Melissa Murphy, junior." Nelly announced, handing a file to Blair.

"AP scores good. Decent charity work. Young Woman of the America Ballet Theatre. Season passes to the Knicks?" Blair questioned in amusement.

"My dads the team doctor." The girl chirped, clutched her arm.

"Where did you say you summered again?" Blair questioned, a sly smirk on her face.

"The Adirondacks." She said, which sounded more like a question that a statement.

"We'll be in touch." Blair said patronisingly, passing the file towards the victim pile.

Madeleine and Blair, mainly Blair, went through all the girls. Trying to find any projects they could, the pile shrunk significantly. "Every year the projects pile shrinks, while the victims pile—."