THE DARK NIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY | the dark night

In these last, hazy days of summer, a few simple tips to beat the heat. One: drink plenary of fluids. Two: stay out of the sun. Three: limit all physical activity. That is, within reason.

MADELEINE SAT CROSS legged on a park bench, her copy of Atonement clutched in her hands. The park was filled with bustling and sweaty New Yorker's, the redhead outstretched her legs so no one could preoccupy the space beside her.

The girl picked up her vibrating phone, watching Nate's name displayed on the screen. "Nathaniel?" Madeleine sighed down the phone, sliding a bookmark into her novel.

"Hey! What're you doing right now?" Nate smiled as the words left his lips, Madeleine could tell he wasn't alone by the hushed tone he used when he spoke.

"In the park, sat exactly where we sat on Thanksgiving. Only this time instead of a handsome man beside me, I have a book and the view of perspiring people." Madeleine laughed down the phone, packing her book away. "Hey where are you? We could meet?"

"I'm at Ralph Lauren right now. Maybe in an hour?" Nate whispered down the phone.

"Oh, Catherine with you? Actually don't answer that. I already know the answer." Madeleine walked out of the park, heading in the direction of her home. "I'll see you when I see you." Madeleine disconnected the call before Nate could say anything else.

Madeleine sat on top of the kitchen island in silence, however at random moments she sporadically pounded her fist on the marble beside her. She knew somewhere in her head that she had no right to be angry. However her heart just wouldn't listen.

Madeleine was pulled from a short fit of rage when a woman rounded the corner. Madeleine raised her eyebrow subconsciously, watching the woman in red lower her head as she scuttled past. The next resident to enter the kitchen was a brooding Chuck Bass, tightening his blue robe.

"With all the banging out here, there wasn't any in there." Chuck sighed, pouring himself a small glass of whiskey. "So tell me, sister, what is with your anger issues?"

"Just Nate, his new older woman. Nothing new, now is it brother." Madeleine sighed, pushing herself onto the counter. "Like, what karma do I have to deserve this? Watching my gold digging new step-aunt slather all over the boy I like."

Chuck remained silent, slowly drinking the glass of scotch clutched in his hand. "Golden boy is." Chuck paused, attempting to collect his thoughts. "Oblivious.'' Chuck drawled a smirk playing on his lips.

Madeleine rolled her eyes. "He's making me dizzy." Madeleine stopped while Chuck pulled a chair from their dinning table, sitting parallel to the girl.

"Please carry on." Chuck waved his hand, sipping in his whiskey.

"He kissed me at the wedding, and then ran off." Madeleine began, holding one finger up, "He kissed Serena at the White Party and then chased after me." Madeleine rolled her eyes. "And I now find out he's shacking up with my step-aunt. Chuck I'm trying so hard to be understanding. I'm so ready to scream and go psycho bitch."

Chuck laughed, shaking his head with a smile. "Well, the only person on my mind is Blair. So much so that nothing has been happening."

Madeleine gasped, laughing afterwards. "You're telling me, that the Chuck Bass can't get it up."

Madeleine stood awkwardly in the elevator up to Blair's building. She wanted to curl up in bed with films and chocolate, instead of greeting people she didn't know or wish to speak with. Madeleine brushes down the ends of her dress as the elevator doors opened.

A familiar boy stood in front of her, he gave her a tight lipped smile. Madeleine sighed looking at the ground and then back at the golden boy. "Can I talk to you?"

"Not yet." Madeleine choked out. "I just can't yet."

She walked away from the boy, a heavy feeling in her chest. Madeleine wanted to scream. She wanted to shout and be irrational; telling the boy how he made her head spin and her stomach flutter. Instead, she planned to patiently wait for him. Like she did with Vanessa, or when she let his kiss with Serena slide.

"Madeleine?" A voice questioned from behind her. Her body froze.

"Catherine." She spat back, turning to look at the woman.

The room soon plummeted into darkness. Gasps and words of shock resonated through the home. Madeleine watched Catherine through the dark, she opened the dining room door. Madeleine followed after her, sharp clicks from her heels could be hear agains the tiles.

A few candles were dotted around the dining room, giving off enough light to see Catherine's face. "To who do I owe the displeasure?" Madeleine questioned, gripping a lit candle in her hand.

"Stay away from Nate." She ordered, walking to stand in front of the younger girl. "Stay away from him, and I won't ruin his life."

"An affair with you really isn't going to ruin his life." Madeleine scoffed, shaking her head. "You also, don't scare me, Catherine."

"Dominica." She whispered, Madeleine froze at the simple word, clenching her jaw. "You stay away, and I won't go to the FBI."

A few drops of wax burned Madeleine's finger, making her hiss out in pain. "Now, now, Madeleine." Catherine tutted, moving back to the head of the table. "You will run along and leave Nate to me. And his father will stay hidden."

Madeleine battled with herself, not wanting to leave Nate; but she didn't want to ruin his life. She bit her bottom lip, hoping that the few tears in her eyes wouldn't fall. "Children like you shouldn't get involved in the big leagues."

"You won't win, Catherine." Madeleine said sincerely. "I won last time, and I'll do it again."
Madeleine brushed a few pieces of hair from her face, swiping up some melted wax. "I'll stay away from him, for now. But you'll be gone soon enough."

The light came on with a buzz, Madeleine blew out her candle. She took a final glance at Cathrine, who had a triumphant smirk on her face. "Goodbye, Dear."

Blair and Marcus were in the middle of what looked like a heated argument, when Madeleine emerged. She noticed Chuck looking down at her. He furrowed his brow, as if to ask if everything was okay. Madeleine pursed her lips and shook her head.

"Madeleine." A voice called from behind her. "Madeleine, wait!"

Madeleine turned to the boy, looking at the frown etched into his confused complexion. "I can't." Madeleine shook her head, looking at the floor.

"I'll wait. I'll wait for you to finish with her, but until I can't." Madeleine choked on her words, repeatedly pushing the elevator button. "I can't trail around like a lost puppy anymore, Nate. First it was Vanessa and then Serena, and now Catherine? You keep saying you want me, but you're with other people."

"No, Madeleine please—," Nate tried as she walked into the elevator.

"When it's over and you're free for just me, I'll be waiting." The doors closed, Madeleine crouched down letting out a sigh.