ROMAN HOLIDAY

CHAPTER ELEVEN | roman holiday

Hey, Upper East Siders, it's Christmas in New York. And along with the season come the Constance Billard-St Jude's Bazaar. Where the only thing bizarre are the donated items for sale.

"HEY AUNT LIL there's a Christmas tree in the living room? Just so you know." Madeleine shouted through the house, pulling her 1950's dressing gown over her body tightly, fiddling with the fur on the sleeves.

"Ahh yes, Dan Humphrey and Jenny dropped in by an hour ago." Lily smiled, sipping on her champagne. "How are you darling? You've been in your room for a long time."

"Just getting a head start on studying." Madeleine laughed, sitting beside her aunt. "After the mixer a few months ago, I need all the extra credit and the best grades."

"Well, sweetheart please go out soon. We fixed everything." Lily poured half a glass of champagne and passed it to Madeleine. "Serena will be our all night and Eric's asleep so, I'll let the drinking rule slide."

Madeleine giggled and clicked her glass with her aunt's, taking a sip from the glass. "Now, i have news. Which you cousins already know but tomorrow, Bart Bass will be joining us for Christmas. Please be nice." Lily sighed.

"How could I not? Bart and Chuck have been nothing be nice to me." Madeleine felt warmer when she saw the smile cross Lily's face. "Goodnight Aunt Lily. Merry Christmas."

Madeleine knocked on Eric's door softly, seeing his smile with confusion when she walked inside. "Does mom know you're awake?"

"She just gave me champagne Eric." Madeleine giggled, laying beside Eric on his bed, staring at what he was reading.

"How've you're been Eric?" Madeleine questioned softly, turning to look at her cousin. "And please don't just say you're fine. Tell me everything."

"Fine." Eric sighed, the pair led on their backs staring at the ceiling.

"Do you ever feel like everything just moves? Like you and the world aren't connected? Because sometimes, when I think about what I did, and how much it hurt everyone. That's all I feel. Numb. Sometimes when no ones home I cry, or scream sometimes I'm fine. Other times I'm not. But I'm sick and tired of being babied by everyone." Eric sighed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You know, when my step sister died, I felt like that. The numbness. I did what you did to get away from it all. Well, almost. My dad walked in. But, when I first left London. I felt numb. At times it got so bad, I'd disappeared to Chucks suite and drink whatever he had to offer so I could feel anything." Madeleine began to giggle before she said her next statement. "After the first two times, he stared just giving me glasses of water, telling me it was gin. I obviously knew he was lying but - it made me feel better. Knowing that if all else failed I had Chuck Bass to give me water and carry me through. Now I know I've got so many people who will help me if I need it. That's why I came in here."

Madeleine closed her eyes a smile settling in her lips. "I'll always be here Eric, with any problem, you know i'll be here."

"I know. I'm sorry, about your sister. And your step sister, and being away from your real home and family."

"This is my real home now. You guys are my family."

Madeleine woke up beside Eric who was sleeping soundly. Madeleine could hear people chattering in the home. She watched Eric stir beside her before settling down again.

Madeleine emerged from Eric's bedroom, her hair tied into a high ponytail, her ginger tresses cascading down to her waist. The young girl poked her head around the corner watching the four people sat around the Christmas tree.

"Merry Christmas!" The girl beamed skipping to sit beside her cousin. "Eric's still asleep, we stayed up talking pretty late so I'd leave him for a while."

"Well Madeleine, this is —" Lily barely finished her sentence before Madeleine cut in.

"Bart Bass, I know. It's lovely to see you again Mr Bass." Madeleine smiled, standing from her place on the couch. "And Charles, lovely to see you too. I'm assuming everyone would like some hot chocolate? Mr Bass?"

"Yes-yes sure." Bart replied in his usual monotone voice.

"Alright, tiny Bass jump up and help a girl would you?" Madeleine giggled, floating into the kitchen.

The red head busied herself with making drinks for every resident in the house, eventually telling Chuck to 'get out of her kitchen before she choked him to death with Hot Chocolate powder.'

Bart leant into Lily's ear whilst the girl was preoccupied in the kitchen. "She's definitely something." He laughed.

"Well, there's no home without the girl, besides, she's keeping your Charles on the straight and narrow." Lily smiled, kissing Bart quickly.

Madeleine place five cups on the clear coffee table before excusing herself to bring Eric his own drink. "Knock knock. Merry Christmas, I come baring a lovely chocolate drink." Madeleine giggled, watching Eric pull a checkered shirt around himself. "Bart's out there by the way."

"Great." Eric laughed sarcastically before following Madeleine into the living room.

Madeleine and Serena could barely contain there laughter when Eric opened Bart's gift. "I know how much you love Florida." He stated.

Serena bit her lip to keep herself from laughing, whereas Madeleine opted to cover her face with the white mug in her hand. "Eric, Serena, Madeleine. I just want you to know that I have deep feelings for your mother - and aunt -" Bart's speech was cut short by Lily's phone beginning to ring. "Uh, Lily, you're not going to want to interrupt this moment."

Bart sat beside Lily. Leaving the four Children to watch the scene unfold in front of them. Bart pulled a small black box from his trouser pocket, which earned an eye roll from Serena. Madeleine clutched onto Serena tightly, nobody wanted to interrupt the moment. "Lily, would you do me the honour of being my wife?"

Madeleine felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. The young girl turned her back in the scene, walking away slowly to read the message that had been sent through.

Nate A
Happy Christmas! I assume your the Angel on top of your tree! : )