Chapter 8

Author's Note: You guys are just too awesome :) Have I mentioned that I love you? Yes? Well, I better do it again. I seriously freaking love you all. WOOHOO! OVER ONE THOUSAND VIEWS! I know a lot of people wouldn't get so excited over just 1000 views, but I guess I'm weird like that xD

Dedicated to princesstigerlilly because of the awesome support.

*   *   *   *   *

Chapter 8

There’s this feeling you get when you’re taken from happy to scared in a matter of seconds. Maybe you could relate it to a bag of rocks falling onto your gut. Hell, you could think of it as being a human punching bag.

Maybe that’s why I felt breathless as I stared at Mr. Davis.

I silently pleaded for the blue and red lights to come flashing so I would never have to see him or my mother again. But I knew I didn’t really want that. I wanted my mom to stay, and snap out of whatever trance she’d been in since dad died.

“Um…We’re kind of busy,” I said quietly.

Mr. Davis glared at me, sending a chill down my spine. Unfortunately, Maya and Gina missed it. “Ms. Evans, your mother wishes to see you immediately. I suggest you come before she turned angry…”

I felt fear choking me, preventing words from coming out of my mouth. There was nothing good about Mr. Davis personally escorting me to my mother. In fact, there was nothing even remotely satisfactory about my mother at all.

“Come along now, dear.”

His voice was so fake. I wanted to punch him for it.

I followed the man outside, hearing the door close softly behind me. A cold hand gripped my arm, and I bit my lip to keep from screaming. No, that would only anger them more.

“Stupid girl,” he hissed into my ear. “You’ve been avoiding us, haven’t you?”

I couldn’t lie. It wasn’t like I was going to flat out say, Oh yeah. I kind of forgot that my abusive mother and her psycho boyfriend wanted me to join them for a nice dinner with a side of BRUISES!

 "Not exactly," I replied quietly.

His vice-like grip became even more painful--if possible. All too soon, we were at her cabin, and I was being tossed inside like garbage.

"Ah, Jessica. Glad you could join us," came the slurred but istinct voice of my mother. She laid on the bed with a beer in her hand, and messy hair.

I shouldn't have felt so...bad. I should have wanted to kick both their asses and then some. But for some strange reason, I found myself wanting to go to my mother to comfort her. I hadn't done that in so long, it seemed like a foreign thought.

"Mom?" I asked, hating how my voice broke. "You've  been drinking too much."

It's official. I'm an idiot.

"Who cares?" she hissed, crashing the bottle against the wall. "It doesn't matter anymore."

"Let's have some fun, Jessica," Mr. Davis said, and a cold chill went down my back.

I was suddenly against the wall, his hands pinning my arms to the hard wood. I opened my mouth to scream, to curse--anything to get him away. But he shoved a rag into my mouth before I could make a sound.

"Are you watching, sweetheart?" he asked, glancing at my mom.

"Don't touch my baby."

It was a whisper. Barely heard over my thrashing. But her words made both me and the devil's incarnate freeze where we were.

"What was that, dear?" he asked, turning his head.

I closed my eyes, feeling tears prick in them. I knew she was still in there. I knew it. So I waited for her to speak up again. Waited for her to get this filthy man off of me.

There was no response.

One second...

Two seconds...

I forced my teary eyes open, searching for any sign of my real mom, but I found the drunkard passed out on the floor.

I knew it was too good to be true.

"I guess it's just you and me, then," he whispered against my skin. I felt my breathing hitch as he came closer, and I wanted nothing more than to kick him. Kick him hard.

I shook my head fiercely, summoning every ounce of strength I had to shove him away. I tore the rag out of my mouth, breathing heavily.

"You shouldn't have done that," Davis grounded out, lunging for me.

Terror rose in me as I ducked out of his way and nearly tripped over my sleeping mother. Part of me wanted to grab her and put her somewhere safe--anywhere away from this man. But another part of me, the sensible one, wanted to just leave her here to deal with it herself.

"Come here, Jessica..."

I shook my head and put on my most uncaring face. I couldn't let him see how much he frightened me. I couldn't show him exactly how much I wished I were somewhere else.

He reached his hand out to grab my arm, but...let's face it. Mr. Davis was a grown man. Not the healthiest, either. He was too big; Too slow.

So I yanked my arm back and got in one good kick to his shin before dashing out.

Making a beeline for my cabin, I barely registered that I wasn't alone before I ran into Colton Andrews.

"I know I'm irresistable, but you don't have to-" he started. But I was already backing away, wide eyes. I couldn't let Mr. Davis come for me. I couldn't. I couldn't.

"Jessie?"

I snapped my head in Colton's direction so fast, I was curious as to why I didn't get whiplash. But when he placed a warm hand on my shoulder to steady me, I felt the urge to tear away.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern filling his eyes.

I nodded quickly before turning away. But he grabbed my wrist tightly. "Jess. What the hell is wrong with you?"

His tone didn't imply that anything was necessarily wrong with me, but I refused to take any chances with this boy. There was no possibility of me telling him the truth.

"I'm fine," I rushed out, tugging on my arm.

"Tell me what the fuck is happening," he demanded. "You're kind of freaking me out here..."

"I'm fine," I repeated.

Hearing echoing footsteps, I took off, tearing my arm from Colton. And I only heard Mr. Davis' voice before I got too far.

"I think she's got the flu or something..."

That was way too close.

*   *   *   *   *

Author's Note: My chapters are short. Very short. But I can't make them longer without making them terrible. Ooh, you know what you should do? Read: Opposites Attract.

Yes, it is a fanfiction, but the only things about it that are similar to the books are the character pairings.

Here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8604864/1/Opposites-Attract

Forever and Always,
Me