Chapter 10

Author's Note: You all are too freaking awesome. It's unbelievable.

*     *     *     *     *

Chapter 10

"What are you doing here?" I snapped, feeling my guard go up.

Colton took a step forward, fully exposing himself to me. His eyes were hard and determined, and he strode toward me with something fierce in his step. I would have been an idiot if I didn't catch on that he was pissed or irritated.

"What the fuck, Jessica?" he hissed.

Almost as if a red light had gone off, my instincts jumped in to save me. "What are you on about?"

"Why the fuck did you run into me like a freaking dear caught in the headlights, and then talk about freaking Davis almost raping you?" Colton demanded.

"Don't swear at me," I replied. "Why were you eavesdropping?"

"Answer the damn question!"

I shook my head, feeling dumb and confused. How could I have just run off after bumping into him? Didn't I know that he would try to follow me?

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

Way to go, Jess. Just great.

Colton rolled his eyes, the fire still blazing in them. "I'm not a freaking idiot, Princess. Is there something going on between you and Davis?"

Something going- Oh, hell no. Who, in their right minds, would jump to the conclusion that a minor is having some sort of relationship with an old creep? Seriously?

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked slowly. I mean, there could have been a misunderstanding, right? He couldn't possibly be insinuating that Mr. Davis and I were...in an intimate relationship.

"Oh, for fuck's sake!" he yelled. "Are you and Davis screwing?"

Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit.

Okay. Handle this calmly, Jessica. Do not blow your top. Don't-

"Shit!"

I rubbed my knuckles, eyeing Colton. He cradled his jaw with one hand, curling the other one into a tight fist. His eyes narrowed at me in anger and he advanced in my direction.

"Are you an idiot?" I screamed. "Just fucking leave me alone!"

I tried to run off. I really did. But his hand reached out too fast, and he held me back so I couldn't move any further. My feet were practically sliding helplessly against the ground in my lame attempt to run.

"Why did you hit me?" he asked harshly.

"You asked if I was screwing that creep!" I hissed, glancing around for any signs of said creep.

"So you just punch me? A simple yes or no would have been great!"

I froze, then. He still needed me to answer the question?

"Colton...Are you stupid?"

I felt his grip on my shirt loosen enough so that he wasn't pulling on me, or holding me back. He was just...holding me.

"Not in the slightest."

"Then tell me...Am I in some sort of illegal relationship with a pedophilic man?"

A quiet slap came, and I could only picture him slapping his palm on his forhead. "Sorry."

"It's fine. Now...If you'd let me go, so I could-"