Chapter 9

Author's Note: Sometimes I feel like giving up on this story...But then I read all of your reviews again, and I'm like "Don't give up, you insane little freak!" Hehe...

NINETEEN FANS!!! o.O I'm still wondering how the heck that happened...

Ok. I'm dedicating this one to BlueBloodBeast for being the first reviewer! :) Ahem. Where's the applause?

*   *   *   *   *

Chapter 9

"Holy shit," I muttered to myself, tugging at a strand of hair. "Holy shit."

Okay, I told myself. It's gonna be fine. I'm going to close my eyes, count to three, and then I'll be in my bed again...one...two...three.

When my eyes opened, I was met with the lake. The water rippled as I watched leaves fall into it. I guess counting doesn't work like magic...

I spun around when I heard leaves russling from behind me. But when I looked around, scanning the area, I didn't see anything unusual.

Maybe I really am going crazy now...Check your sanity, Jessica, I thought. I am Jessica Evans. I am seventeen years old. My sister's name is Madeline Evans, or Maddie. Daddy died. I killed Daddy.

"Holy shit," I cursed, my eyes squeezing shut to prevent tears from leaking.

"Jess?"

I looked up at Maya as she slowly moved toward me. Her eyes were filled with pity and concern, and I didn't know how to handle it. So I went with the most approachable tactic.

I tried to smile, even though it was so obviously fake. "Sup, Maya?"

She glared at me, sitting down beside my body to pull me into a tight hug. For a second, I just allowed her to embrace me, cherishing the feeling.

"Now...Who's ass am I gonna kick?" she whispered.

I laughed weakly, rubbing at my dry eyes, making sure I wouldn't start to cry in front of her. "It's nothing, Maya. It's just my time of the month. You know how emotional some people can get."

Apparently, I wasn't as good an actor as I hoped I was, because she just sent me a scolding look. "Jess, you know you can tell me anything, right? I haven't judged you this far, and I'm not gonna start now. So what's wrong?"

Damn it. The weird feeling in my stomach made me realise exactly how hard it is to tell the truth. I opened my mouth, about to answer. I was totally gonna lie. I really was. But when I spoke, something broke in me, and I ended up telling her everything.

"It started last summer..."

*  *  *

"And then...he tried to...you know," I finished, almost an hour later. And man, did it feel good. Sure, my voice was completely void of emotion while I spoke, but I was getting better. Right?

"That bastard," she hissed, pulling me in for another hug.

Number of times she hugged me during my story: 13

Number of times I hugged back: 4

"You know what? I'm gonna call the cops on him!" she declared. "There is no way he'll get away with it, Jesse. Mr. Davis is gonna get his ass kicked so bad, he'll be begging for mercy!"

Maya started to stomp away, but I grabbed her arm and pulled the blonde girl back to me. "Maya, I appreciate it, but you can't tell anybody about this. Got it?"

She stared at me with wide eyes. "What the hell, Jess? He almost rapes you, hits you, and you're just gonna let him?"

I shook my head vigorously, willing her to understand. "It's not like that! But...my mom..."

"Oh, right," Maya nodded, seeming to understand. "I'll kick her ass too. And you can watch."

"Maya!" I yelled. "I don't want my mom to get hurt, damn it!"

"But she-"

"She's my mom," I said sternly. "In the past year, she's hit me, screamed at me, threatened me. But she's never touched Maddie. Doesn't that count for something?"

Maya just stared at me.

"It has to count for something," I whispered, dropping to my knees. It looked like a lazy act, as if I carelessly plopped myself down to rest my feet. But in all actuality, I was trying to hide my face from Maya. I know, it's pitiful.

"Jess," Maya pleaded. "She hurt you...I don't want it to happen again."

"I know," I nodded. "I know. But I can't let them take her away, Maya. Don't you see? She's my mom! She raised me. She loved me. I can't do this to her!"

Maya seemed to think about it for a second. "Okay," she gave in. "I'm not telling. But if that man lays his hand on you once more, I'll be the one to castrate him...kay?"

I nodded again. "Thank you."

"You wanna go back to the cabin?" she asked, jerking her head in its direction.

I shook my head. "I'm gonna chill out here for a little. Take care of Maddie for me?"

Maya laughed, eyes twinkling. And for a moment, I wished I could be as pretty and carefree as she was. "I think Gina's doing a perfect job of handling Maddie. The girl has Gina wrapped around her little finger!"

I grinned. It was small, and watery, but it was a step closer to being happy. "Alright."

Maya walked off, and I was left alone again. I watched a bird land in a tree, then fly off with another one. The heat was all around me, but a subtle breeze swept my hair away from me.

I felt completely at peace with my thoughts--or lack, thereof. I tried not to think about anything. To get away from reality and just drown in this calm place.

But that was ruined when I heard the leaves rustle again, and a familiar, soft voice speak up.

"Hey, Jessica."

*   *   *   *   *

Author's Note: Any guesses as to who this is? HINT: Her dad will not magically appear alive and well. Just saying, for any of you wild guessers there ;D My chapters are very short, and I apologize for that. But I can't force myself to write alot or it turns out to be like a toddler wrote it...

I'm gonna start writing another story on this. YOU PICK WHICH ONE!!!

1.) Underestimated is my Middle Name - A group of teenagers shouldn't live in a bad neighborhood. They also shouldn't have to pay for their own apartment. There's nothing relatively normal about this group, so what happens when they're taken into a friendly woman's house? What if she made them go to school?

2.) My Not-So-Fairytale Story - Aurora is surrounded by cliche love stories. Her parents were the popular guy and the good-girl. Her best friend is the captain of the cheerleading team, dating the rival school's quarterback. Heck, her younger sister was sharing crayons with the neighborhood troublemaker. So why can't Aurora find her special fairytale?