Camping with the Jerk

So...I got this idea and I couldn't wait to post it and see what you all think :) Hopefully, it turns out okay!

*  *  *  *  *

Chapter 1

"You better pack your bags," my mom said, full-on glaring at me while I applied make-up to the vivid bruise on my jaw.

"Why? You gonna send me away?" I asked, not caring if she'll hit me again.

"You're going to camp in a few days," she replied. I froze. Camp?

"I don't want to go to camp this summer," I mumbled. Every summer, ever since I was nine, I went to this camp. My dad owned it, and he was always the main reason I would go. But last year, my dad...died. He was in a car accident. Some drunk driver.

She grabbed me by the arm and hissed in my ear. "I don't care what the hell you want or don't want. You're going to camp."

Folding my arms in denial, I turned to face her. "If I'm going to camp, I'm taking Maddie with me."

She scoffed. "I was already planning to bring her. I'm not leaving my daughter with some babysitter."

It's not like you'd take care of Maddie on your own...

"Wait. You're coming?"

"Of course! I'm running the camp with Mr. Davis. Did you think I was just going to give him all the profits it makes?"

I didn't answer, just walked out of the room, heading to my own so I could pack. "Jessie!"

The little girl ran into my arms and squeezed me tight. "I go camp with yoooouuuu!" she sang.

"Yes, Maddie. You're coming with me. You wanna help me pack my things?"

She nodded eagerly. "I big girl now, Jessie. I help!"

I laughed at the two year old next to me. Her tiny feet padded against the floor as she ran to my bed. Maddie watched intently as I pulled out my suitcase and started putting clothes in. Her hand stopped mine right before I put a blue t-shirt in.

"You wear dat one tomorrow!" she exclaimed.

"Okay," I laughed. "I'll wear it."

"Pinky?"

I held out my pinky finger and hooked ours together. "Pinky promise," I confirmed.

"Jessie?"

"Yeah, hun?" I asked, not looking at her as I continued to pack.

"We see daddy at camp?" she asked hopefully. My eyes closed and I breathed deeply.

"Maddie, daddy won't be there."

"Otay. I wait."I smiled, knowing she won't give up on her daddy. She swung her legs back and forth on the edge of the bed and kept an innocent smile.

*  *  *  *  *

The next day, we were sitting in the car, on our way to the camp. Maddie turned to me, her finger in her mouth. I kept my eyes on my only sister the entire ride. Eventually, my eyes drooped closed and I fell asleep, breathing slowly.

“Get the hell up.” Along with the sharp voice, there came a slap. My cheek stung as I opened my eyes and got out of the car. I got Maddie out of her car seat and pulled both our bags out. Luckily, she only had a small backpack, so I swung that over my shoulder. I struggled to drag my own bag behind me while keeping Maddie on my hip. My mother walked ahead, her head held high.