Chapter 3

I am SUPER sorry for the wait. But I have school starting up, football is tiring, and babysitting sucks. In a way, writing this was theraputic. :)

*   *   *   *   *

If I ever said that I hated my mom, I'd be lying.

If I ever said that I hated anyone, I'd be lying.

But when I say that I strongly dislike my mother's choices, I'd be telling the truth.

"And why can't you go to the lake with your group?" She was fuming. Any person in their right mind could see that. But I wasn't worried about getting hit. I was worried about getting caught.

"Well, you should know, mother," The way I spat out 'mother' made her eyes narrow. "You're the one preventing me from going."

"How is this my fault?" she yelled.

I wanted so badly to take a few steps back. To go hide in some place where nobody could see me shaking in fear. But I stood my ground.

"Do you know what you've been doing to me ever since dad died? Do you know about all the permanent reminders all over my body? Do you even care?" I clenched my jaw.

"Don't you dare-"

I cut her off with a shake of my head. "Forget it. I'll solve my problems on my own. Not that I'm not used to it by now."

Before she could get another word in, I turned on my heel and walked away to where Maddie was talking to Jason, another boy in the group. When I was close enough, I could hear parts of their conversation.

"And then, Jessie got me ice cream! But I didn't want ice cream anymore. My tummy was hurting," she explained, rubbing her stomach. I smiled, as he played around with her.

"Hey, Mads," I said, sitting down beside Jason. He grinned and handed my sister over.

Maddie was jumping up and down in my lap, giggling. "Guess what!"

"What?" I asked, holding her still.

"JayJay said we can go get ice cream!" Her tiny hands held onto my shoulders.

"Oh, really?" I stole a glance at Jason, who was staring at the two of us.

Maddie hopped off my lap and tugged on my shirt. "Come on! We gotta go so mommy doesn't get mad!"

I stood up and carried her to the cabin. I threw on a blue tanktop and black shorts before leading her back out to meet the group. Colton was surrounded by Daniella and Leah. They were clearly flirting, but he looked bored and uninerested. When he looked up at me, his expression didn't change.

"So what's the point of this team bonding stuff?" Leah asked, twirling a strand of blonde hair.

I rolled my eyes. "The name says it all, sweetheart."

She scoffed and turned back to Colton, continuing her flirty banter. I took Maddie's hand and led her out to the lake, the others following close behind. Colton was suddenly at my side. "Hey, Jamie."

"It's Jessie," I corrected, already feeling the urge to yell.

His arm slid around my waist, pulling me close. "How about we go for a swim?"

I shook my head. "Sorry. Can't. I've got to watch my sister."

"John won't mind, right?" he asked, turning to Jason. I stepped away and glared.

"You should learn people's names before you start to annoy them. Do you even know your own name?"

He stepped closer, a smirk on his face. "Baby, I've heard my name being screamed enough to remind me. And If you think I need another reminder..." He twirled a strand of my hair. "You could always help me out."

I handed Maddie over to Jason, letting them go to the lake. Lauren and Daniella were just watching us, so I grabbed his hand and pulled him to a secluded area behind a cabin. He pushed me up against the wall, stepping closer. "Sweetheart, you didn't have to pull me here. I would have come willingly."

I don't know why, but I was scared. As I froze, I'm positive my face went pale, because he took a step back, a look of concern in his eyes. "Hey, are you okay?"

I breathed in and out, trying to calm my heart before nodding. "Just...don't talk like that in front of my sister or I'll mess you up."

He smirked and leaned in, placing a kiss on my cheek. I shoved him away, glaring. "And don't touch me."

I was ready to punch him in the face. But I didn't. Instead, I waited until we were by the lake. When he was close to the water, i grinned deviously and shoved him, making him fall straight into the lake. Laughing, I sat down next to Maddie and watched her play.

"You're going to regret that!" Colton called.

If only I knew...

*  *  *  *  *

So? Tell me what you thought or I'll send a clown after you...While we're on the topic, who else thinks clowns are the SCARIEST things ever?!? I HATE CLOWNS.

COMMENT?