18| "even your parents didn't stick around"

This is the only chapter which is like a proper novel, as in the only chapter which contains paragraphs, so enjoy!

Jessica silently walked in the hallway, her mind buzzing with anticipation. Why was Ethan so excited to know that she was coming to school today? Had he planned something? Her heart was racing, thudding against her small chest. The fact that she had been crushing on Ethan Dave for the past two years wasn't helping at all. 
"Earth to Jessica," her best friend, Neveah, shouted in her ear. 

"Shit, I'm sorry. Did I miss anything?" Jessica replied, still slightly dazed. 

"Nothing much, just that we are sitting with the football players today," Neveah stated, her voice daring Jess to disobey. 

"No Neveah, we are not," Jess retorted. Being near the jocks also meant being in close proximity to the cheerleaders, aka the queen beyotches, and her bullying quota for the day was already full. 

"Come on Jess, please," her other best friend, Sage, requested, "I need to be close to Chase if I want him to notice me. Plus, why are you so worried? If anything happens we are there, Chase and your brother will also be there. We will protect you"

"And Ethan, Sage," Neveah casually commented, "Ethan will also be there you know..."

"I still can't believe you've been texting the Ethan Dave for about a month now!" Sage exclaimed, his eyes wide with amusement and pride. "Fall break is just around the corner. If you want to make a move, now is the time to do it, Jess, now!"

"I'm not making any move, Sage. And neither is he," Jessica gave Sage a blank stare,
"Let's just this over with. But we are only going to sit there today. Okay?"

"Hell yeah!"

~

"I still can't believe you are finally sitting with us!" Mason exclaimed, genuinely surprised to see his sister claim the seat next to him. 

"It's just a one-day thing, don't get used to it," Jess replied, completely annoyed by the weird stares all the jocks were giving her. 

"Jessica Hale," a deep voice stated from behind. Jessica turned around to meet the pale blue eyes she had spent years adoring. Even in his most casual clothing, Ethan looked amazing, delicious even. His white T-shirt hugged his body perfectly and his usually styled hair was now messy, owing to the number of times he ran his hand through it. Suddenly realizing that everyone's eyes were on her, she stopped her ogling session, for now, and took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart. 

"Ethan Dave."

Jessica's voice was the most melodious voice Ethan had ever heard. They had been calling each other more often now and to say that he was addicted to her voice would be an understatement. Even though she was dressed in a simple maroon hoodie with black ripped jeans, she looked gorgeous. Her auburn locks were restrained in a messy bun and all he wanted to do was run his fingers through it.

"Wow, I didn't know trash was joining us today," a new high-pitched voice broke the oh-so-romantic moment. 

"Go away, Brittany," Sage gritted, his dislike for this beyotch increasing exponentially. 

"Nobody asked for your opinion, Sage. God, you are so gay," Brittany sneered.

"Wow you are worse than what I had imagined," Neveah commented, her signature glare now directed towards Brittany. 

"Look, another one from the LGBT community spoke up! Stop imagining me, you lesbo."

"Shut up, Brittany. What are you, five? And just in case you forgot, we live in the twenty-first century, not in the medieval times," Jessica, finally, commented.

Trash-talking her was one thing and demeaning her best friends just on the basis of their sexuality was another. "Those two have more humanity in their little finger than you have in your entire body, you bitch!"

"Oh, Jessica darling, nobody here wants to hear your voice," Brittany replied, her lips forming a smirk, "You know what would've been nice? You dead, with your parents."

Jessica, Ethan, Mason, Chase, Sage, and Neveah all froze. Nobody apart from them knew about Jessica's parents and now, thanks to Brittany, everyone knew. 

"What do you mean?" Frederick, a football player, shouted from the other end of the table, confusion clear on his face. "Mason's parents are alright."

"But Jessica here isn't their child. She is adopted," Brittany stepped closer, "Look at that Jessica, even your parents didn't stick around."

"That was low. Brittany, even for you," Jess whispered, her voice breaking.

"Tell that to someone who cares. Anyways, thank you so much Ethan darling, for telling me about this!"

Let me know what you think!

-Hiya♡.