Chapter TwentyNine

En başından başla

But why did that scare me?

"You're heavy," I said to her. Brooklyn laughed and climbed off me. I grabbed my phone from my pocket.

"I'm going Christmas shopping next week," she announced, opening her laptop once more. "You coming?"

"It's October," I muttered. I tapped out a quick message to Kayden.

—We need to talk. Call me

"Yeah, but this is when the deals start."

"For Halloween," I retorted.

She huffed. "You coming or not?"

"I'll let you know."

My phone buzzed.

—Busy rn, I can come thru later?

My heart sped up at the thought of seeing him again.

—That's fine, see u soon

I arrived home an hour later to find the house practically empty. I kicked off my trainers, dumped my laptop bag by the stairs, hung my coat up, and then went to check the living room. All electronics and lights were off. I travelled to the kitchen—Dad's domain and uncle Clayton's favourite drinking spot—to see the space spotless. I approached the fridge where Dad had taped a note.

Gone to see Ms Lurline
Food's in the oven
Dad xx

I smiled at the brief message. Dad really was a man of few words. It was nice that he's taken the family to see Nan's last remaining friend. She lived past Watford, so I imagine they wouldn't be back for a while. I wondered if he roped Andre and Kieran into going as well, but there was no sign of them in the house either.

After freshening up and changing into my nightwear, I headed back downstairs, warmed up the curry goat Dad left, poured myself a glass of apple juice, and relaxed in the living room to enjoy my meal. Although the nightmares of Leon had practically vanished, I still had moments of unease whenever I was alone. My house was safe, with security measures set in place by Dad since he was an all-around handyman, so there really was nothing to worry about.

Even so...

Silence could sometimes be so loud.

I upped the volume on the TV and found a decent show to watch, deciding to focus on what was right in front of me instead of complete fabrication.

Leon wasn't here. He won't get me.

But who's to say for sure?

Once I finished my meal, I washed my plate, switched everything off, and sprinted upstairs. Funny how ghosts and apparitions weren't the cause of my fright, but someone I once loved and trusted to take care of me.

I shut my door, switched my TV on and jumped into bed, flinging the covers over me. I huddled beneath the sheets, trying to keep the ridiculous thoughts at bay, but failing miserably.

What I wouldn't give to have Claycia and Diamond in my room watching Simpsons, or have uncle Clayton burst in unannounced to lecture me on something I already knew. Hell, I'd welcome Kieran here just to have a distraction.

I rubbed my hand over the fading gash on my arm, reliving the horror of being trapped in a room with Leon. He had free rein to do whatever he wanted to me, and he used that to his advantage. Multiple times.

Squeezing my eyes closed, I took deep breaths to regulate my heartbeat and calm myself down.

Leon wasn't here. He won't get me.