Chapter TwentyOne

Becca

I met up with Natalie after my shift. She begged me to follow her shopping since she was going away with her cousins to Ayia Napa the following week.

"How many times have you been there now?" I asked as we entered Zara.

She actually had to think about it. "Four times? This will be the fifth."

Natalie was the textbook definition of a party animal. Ever since she turned 16 and discovered that she could pass as her sister, who was four years her senior, she'd been in and out of clubs. It's only gotten worse since she's turned 18.

"Another festival, huh?" I raised a brow.

"Napa Rocks," she winked and began taking some clothes off the racks. She held up a pastel pink dress that looked more like a dishcloth. "What d'you think?"

"I think that will barely cover your ass."

"That's the point." She threw it over her shoulder and continued to browse the clothes. I had a little look myself, keen to see what seasonal clothes would catch my eye.

Eventually, we left Zara, with Natalie adding to her collection of shopping bags. I followed her everywhere as we traversed the whole of Westfield. Natalie was as insane with shopping as she was with partying, and the ache in my back and thighs quickly reminded me of that.

While in Topshop, I waited for her to try on some jeans, guarding her sea of bags by the waiting chairs. It was beginning to get late and I was starving. Feeling exhausted, I rested my head on one of the mannequins and shut my eyes, praying that this was the last shop Natalie would drag me to.

"You alright?"

I opened my eyes to look at the boy next to me. He was dark-skinned with small brown eyes and a neat beard. I noticed his wavy hair and plump lips, wondering what drew him to someone like me. I was still in work clothes, my hair was a mess, and I definitely had a scowl on my face.

"I'm fine."

"Did you need help with your shopping?"

"These aren't mine. Waiting for my friend." I took a deep breath and decided to indulge him. He wouldn't leave me alone, anyway. "What about you?"

"My sister. I'm treating her." He wiped his face and I realised he was just as tired as I was.

"That's nice of you."

"Yeah. Our brother who died last year left his flat for her when she turned 18. It's her birthday tomorrow so I thought I'd buy her a new wardrobe as a gift.

My face dropped. That took a dark turn. "Sorry to hear that."

He smiled. "It's cool."

"I can't believe you're telling a stranger this."

He shrugged. "Trying to keep you occupied while you wait for your friend."

I looked back at the cubicle she had entered. There were no signs of her leaving it any time soon. What was she doing in there, adding sequins to the damn ting?

The boy continued, "She's glad she gets to live on her own. Michael knew that."

"Oh, his name was Michael?" He nodded to confirm, and I let curiosity get the better of me. "How did he die, if you don't mind me asking?"

"He was murdered. Some girl set him up, led him to the wrong place for his ops to get him."

"Shit," I muttered without even thinking. There were way too many stories of set-up chicks leading young men to their death. "Do you know who she was?"