Chapter Sixteen

Becca

As Brooklyn and I travelled on the bus, I wondered how I allowed myself to get roped into this situation.

"This better be quick," I mumbled.

Brooks laughed. "It should be. Just gonna meet up, chill for a while, then leave."

I watched as she applied lip gloss while sprucing herself up in her compact mirror. "Don't you trust him to be alone together?" I asked.

She shrugged. "We've only been talking for a few days so there's no trust there. He asked to meet up and I didn't want to say no, so it's better to bring a friend along."

I sighed. Brooklyn wasn't exactly wrong for having that mindset—in fact, that was a rather mature way to handle a complete stranger—but it was a shame I had to be part of it. Still, it wasn't exactly the end of the world, I just haven't been in the mood lately and I knew I wouldn't be good company.

We eventually got off the bus and continued down the road. I could feel my energy depleting. When I woke up this morning, I expected to go to sixth form and then go straight back home to my bed. I yawned and Brooklyn laughed.

"I get it, you're tired. We're like two minutes away."

"Does this Charles guy drive?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Why?"

"Damn. Wanted a lift home."

She nudged me with a laugh. "You're not leaving me alone with him!"

"Okay, okay."

It was then I realised that Brooklyn couldn't tell time; it seemed like we were walking forever. "So, do you see yourself with him?" I asked, deciding to take an interest.

Brooklyn shrugged and linked her arm with mine. "I dunno. It's only been a week, but he's so nice. If today's a success I'm gonna see how things go."

That made me think about my own love life. Or lack of. It didn't exist since my ex was officially out of my life and Kayden was an annoying asshole who I couldn't exactly see myself with. Still, it was refreshing to just be free of men in a commitment sense.

We approached a block of flats and I peered around. We weren't even that far from my house; if things went well, I could slink away and run home. For now, I'd wait and see how this guy was. Brooklyn sent a text and then a couple of minutes later, the door opened and someone stepped out.

The first thing I noticed was his height; this dude was at least 6 ft 3. I found my neck craning to take him in properly. Charles was a handsome man, dark-skinned with trimmed wavy hair. His eyes were a striking brown, and his smile was bright as he approached us and gave Brooklyn a hug.

"You made it," he said.

She grinned back, looking dazed. I could understand, he was definitely a head-turner.

"This is my friend Rebecca. Beccs, Charles," she briefly introduced.

He reached forward and shook my hand. I accepted and offered a polite smile. Then I looked around the desolate area again and realised we were still standing around in the street.

"So..." I muttered.

Brooks turned to him. "You got everything?"

"Yeah, let's go."

I perked up at that. "Go? Go where?"

"Just to the shop."

The answer confused me a little. I nodded slowly, wondering when they had planned this. Charles began to walk in the direction we had just come from, heading towards the high-street. He and Brooklyn linked arms and I walked slightly behind. Just like that, I'd become the third wheel.