eight

*hi i'm back, if this receives a good response i will continue writing the story*

Luke spun around on his heal and walked over to the unnamed girl who was hugging December. December looked up at Luke with a look he had yet to see her give him. It seemed almost like she was afraid of him. Luke didn't like that. He didn't want it to be that way at all. God — what had he done?

-

Luke took a step backwards, bumping into Michael's wounded body on the grass, almost stumbling over him. He breathed in shakily, gathering his balance and taking a step forward. He looked back up, and into those captivating green eyes. They looked different this time. Even more piercing, a brighter shade of green when she cries. An interesting fact about her, that Luke wishes he had never learnt. He wanted to take it back. All of it. It was only the second time Luke had ever been around December, and he fucked it all up. He was just starting to gain her trust. For fuck sake, she had just cried her eyes out in his arms because of how broken she is from trusting the wrong men. And now, look. He was no better than any of them. At least that's what Luke assumed she was thinking. Luke knows he's better than this. But what reason would December have to ever speak to him again after witnessing him have such a violent outburst? Justified or not in this situation, Luke wasn't a violent person. He was raised to believe violence is weak and that there is strength in walking away and diffusing a situation. He couldn't believe what he had done. Hitting Michael once, inside, was one thing. One thing that was already out of character for Luke. But beating him up? Hitting him over and over again until he drew blood? That was a whole new ball game for Luke. He had never felt so angry in his life as he did towards Michael. The way he spoke about, and towards December. The way her eyes fell when she said his name. The things he did to her, that December had just trusted Luke with.

He watched as the girl he met inside rubbed December's back and held her close as December breathed in and out like she'd just ran a marathon. He wanted to be Avery. He wanted to hold her and tell her it was okay. But how could it be okay? She just watched him lash out in a fit of rage on someone he'd just met. What was to stop her from thinking he might do that to her? She has been betrayed over and over by men in her past, how could she trust that Luke would be any different? Luke knows, of course, that he would never hurt her. He went to move towards her, and she took a step back. That's when he understood, this wasn't about him. This was about her, and what she needed right now wasn't him, no matter how much he wished it was. Luke took one last look at December, truly believing it would be the last chance he would ever get before walking back towards the house.

"Wait, Luke" his favourite sound. He turned back around to see December running after him, coming to a halt. He stood there, watching her. He wanted to say something, but he wasn't sure he should. He had to let her say what she needed to. If he ever wanted anything in his life, it was for her to hug him right now. He wanted her touch, and not the sexual kind. He just wanted her.

She avoided his eyes, looking at her feet.

"Uh, you forgot this," she mumbled, taking off the jacket Luke had given her.

"Oh, um, you can keep it, it's cold..." he responded, scratching his head.

"No, I don't want it." she stated coldly, looking at him for the first time, extending her arm to hand him the jacket without getting too close. He reached out, meeting her halfway and grabbing the jacket. They stood there for a few minutes, looking at each other before she turned around.

"Em," he began.

"Please don't, I can't take anything else tonight."

He stood there, watching her walk away. Those words replaying in his head. 'Tonight'. Did that mean she would wake up tomorrow and text him as usual, and things would be okay? Did that mean things weren't over forever?