Rudolpho

Standing backstage I eyed Jerome, huffing impatiently as we waited to be approached. Music played on the other side of the curtain accompanied by the clinking of cutlery and murmur of voices. Barbara had stayed behind with Theo to finish getting ready whilst Jerome and I had went on ahead to take care of the  magician, who now lay taped up in a trunk to my left.

    I take a deep breath, bracing myself to ask a question that had been at the back of my mind for the past few hours. "Girlfriend huh?" I smirked, repeating what the young ginger had said to his dad.

He grinned back at me "what, you got a problem with that?" He asked almost mockingly

"Well I mean usually you have to ask first" I giggle back rolling my eyes

"Well then, Sage Stoke would you do the great honour of being my girlfriend?" He asks reaching for my hand and kissing it gently.

    My lips curl into a huge smile but just when I'm about to answer an old woman interrupts us.

"Thank you for filling in on such short notice, but how did you hear our magician dropped out, mr..." I glare at the woman for interrupting our moment as she peers down at the clipboard in her hand. Jerome walks to stand behind her

"Rudolpho," he says,his silly fake accent making a comeback "well you know, magic" he grins making my smile return. The woman chuckles half heartedly whilst turning to me.

"And you are my dear?" She questions, I glance at Jerome as I try to come up with a name to tell the lady, thinking fast Jerome steps forward into her view again "Loretta does not speak much English" he explains and the woman nods understandingly.

    Jerome turns to the trunk beside me, quickly changing the subject "I won't be needing that" he winks while gesturing to the trunk behind me. I take one look at the tied up magician, slamming the trunk shut. I turn back and smile politely at the old lady. She smiles with a small nod before walking off, I'm about to continue my conversation with Jerome when I hear applause behind the curtain.

"Good evening." I hear a woman's voice say, I catch a glimpse of Barbara at the corner of my eye as she struts onto stage in her pink costume. "I'm doctor Lee Thompkins," I raise a brow, Barbara had mentioned this woman before, Jim Gordon's new girlfriend. "for the past five years I've had the honour of being part of the children's hospital. I'd like to Thank you all for your support, and thank you so much for coming out tonight. Over the years, we've had magicians come and entertain our children" Jerome grabs my hand, guiding me over to our positions where we were to enter the stage. "Tonight we have one of the magicians here for you. So without further ado, Please allow me to present to you, the great Rodolfo and the lovely Loretta!" Lee finishes finally.

     Funky music and applause fill the room, I hear Barbara open the large cupboard we were supposed to appear in, she closes it again giving us time to get inside. Jerome places a hand on the back of my head pulling me towards him, pressing his lips on mine just as the doors open for a second time. The audience begin to hoot and cheer as Jerome and I turn to the audience, acting surprised to see them. He steps out first, holding out a hand elegantly to lead me out which I take with a smile. My partner and I throw our hands into the air

"Ha!" He shouts,I beam proudly, loving the attention from the crowd. The three of us step onto the small stage "greetings ladies and germs, I am indeed the great Rudolpho and this is my lovely Loretta!" He announces, spinning me in front of the crowd who cheer loudly "now, please also ogle my assistant" he says with a laugh gesturing to Barbara who waves to the audience.

       The young man then pulls out a red handkerchief, waving it around before pulling a red rose out of it. He hands me the rose which I accept with a smile, placing a hand on my heart before tossing it to the audience as Jerome pulls out a dove. The music finishes as the dove flutters away. I watch as Theo's henchmen close the doors and Jerome makes his way to the microphone "for my first act, ill require a volunteer" he says to the audience "let me see... duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, goose!"his finger lands on a young boy around my age, maybe younger with dark hair. The boy looks nervous and I strut over to him and hold out a hand. He eyes my hand nervously, not budging.

"don't keep the lady waiting" an old man behind him insists.

"Fine" he sighs taking my hand, the crowd cheers loudly as I escort him to the stage.

     Jerome and Barbara set up the box for the trick, "hello young man!" Jerome greets with a smile as I help him into the box. "Does this handsome young man have a name?" He asks to which the dark haired boy simply replies.

"Bruce".

I notice how he looks around cautiously and wonder what could possibly be raising his suspicions.

"well Bruce," My partner grins as I pull out blades, passing one to Jerome "this won't hurt a bit, is there a doctor in the house?" He jokes.The audience laugh and cheer, loving every minute. The old man Bruce was with steps forward, yelling in objection as we slam the blades into the box.

    Barbara pulls the end of the box away revealing the result of the trick "give em a wave" Jerome laughs. Bruce seems relieved, he grins to the audience, waving while they applaud. Cameras flash while Bruce stands up, I smile for them while Jerome jokes about Bruce having "a split personality" and Barbara takes Bruce back. Jerome walks forward, snatching the mic "for my next illusion I'd like to call to the stage, esteem deputy mayor, Harrison Kane" he says. Barbara walks over to a large man, leading him up to the stage. I assume Jerome had been instructed who to pick for his volunteers by Theo while I was getting ready.He clears his throat, whispering in my ear to get the knives.

       Barbara and I then wheel out the trolly of knives to the centre of the stage. Barbara rips off the cover, twirling it around which causes her mask to fall off. I scan the audience to make sure nobody noticed, feeling relieved when I see nobody seems phased. Then I notice a lady getting dragged away by one of Galavan's men "by the way, nobody here is getting out alive" I hear Jerome from beside me, I look over to see him holding a knife up, twirling it whilst grinning maliciously. The crowd laughs naively as well as the deputy mayor, I scoff at their stupidity. rich people.

    Just then Jerome fires the knife at the deputy mayor, the blade sinking into the centre of his chest. The man stumbles back falling which finally alerts the crowd of the danger their in.

"whoo!" Barbara cheers while the room fills with screams, people scramble to the doors, trying to escape. Jerome's maniac laughter can be heard as Galavan'a henchmen who had previously posed as waiters shoot out the lights. Some people are attempting to fight back, others just cry and accept their fate. Jerome walks over to me and places an arm round me as I observe the chaos, taking off my mask this is it I think as Jerome continues to cackle beside me.