lover: boy

Ava was frantic with worry over Calum's sudden temperature change early in the morning. She woke up to a text from Calum which puzzled her until she had read what's written in it.

calli (your favorite bassist)
Feeling sick. Don't come inside my room. I don't want you to get affected.

Calum spent the whole night researching about coronavirus symptoms to see if he had exhibit any of it. So far, the only thing that was bothering him was his fever, and he did not feel any dry cough or difficulty of breathing.

But that didn't keep him from being apprehensive, especially when he had also received news from Ashton of the same condition. He was afraid this would affect the band's promotion and he wouldn't be able to participate to any meetings or even worse, end up in the hospital.

He brought all medicines he needed and a package of masks to his room and locked himself up. He asked Ava to stay a safe distance from him and leave his food outside the door on every meals. He hates not to see her for so long but he knows he had to do this for her safety.

"Kay? I hope I'm not bothering you." Ava went to the kitchen to call KayKay.

"Hey, Ava? Yeah it's no problem. What's the matter?" KayKay struggles to balance her phone and food she has prepared for Ashton until she finally decides to put it on speaker.

"I heard Ashton is not feeling good." Ava leans on the counter while rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, his temperature rose the other day and he couldn't eat for the past five hours. What's wrong?"

"It's Calum." Ava glanced through different pictures hanging on the wall before bringing back her attention to the call.

"He's not feeling well at all too and I don't know what to do." Ava sighed in slight frustration.

"Ave, don't worry. I'm here to help you." KayKay spoke. "What's his temperature?"

"A 103."

"Oh God!" KayKay widened her eyes.

"It's bad, isn't it?" Ava questioned.

"It is bad but let's hope it won't worsen. Here, I got a recipe that Ash had only eaten ever since he got sick. Maybe it would increase his appetite. I'll send it to you."

Ava prepared her ingredients and started to make the soup. But her mind couldn't still focus which would make her spill some contents on the floor or burn  herself while cooking. By the time she had finished, she had come up with some soup, a burned finger and a cut on her wrist.

"I've brought some soup, Cal." Ava knocked on his door before setting it on the floor.

"Oh yeah- thanks. I'm coming." Calum spoke loudly as he stood up from his bed slowly.

"Ava?" Calum's muffled voice caught her attention.

"Yeah?" Ava walked back to the door of his room.

Calum couldn't also sleep after thinking about the conversation he had with Ava last night. He felt some type of connection with her that makes him want to crave it more. He had never felt more calm and had never opened his arms more to a person. He could feel his heart beating as he opens his mouth to say the three words he had always wanted to say meaningfully.

"I love you." Calum blurted out. "Like uh- I really love you. Words can't explain how much I want to open this door and-"

"I love you too, Cal. I really do."

Ava laid her head on the door, with Calum laying his too on the same position. They both rested their hand, like they were reaching for each others grasp despite the wood that's separating them. They swore that they could feel each other's love radiating from the door, and their heart beats matched as they closed their eyes.

//

Things weren't going great for the both of them. While Calum's sickeness worsen, Ava felt lonelier with every minute she spent by the whole house herself.

The feeling of true isolation hit her when she uses the whole day moving from one room to another, trying to find something fun to do. Her anxiety was kicking faster than ever before and it did not help her when she tries to do all the basic chores in the house.

When she had her dinner, she wanted to cook one of Calum's favorite dishes, but after dropping off his food, she soon lose the appetite to eat it. Something about Calum not eating in front of her as per usual in the dining table disturbed her and she opted to just do alazy movie night. She had chosen the movie that Calum loves the most.

Mean Girls.

But she couldn't concentrate throughout the whole movie when the only thing she could think about is how she misses his hugs and kisses that could have made her feel warm when she felt chilly just by her blanket. She recalls the countless remarks and mocks he makes everytime Karen Smith gets on his nerves, and she laughs to every joke he makes even if it isn't funny.

It seems like everything she does reminds her of him, it's his home after all. But what scares her the most is that she relies almost all her happiness on him. She could never go a day where she would not think of him.

She finds it crazy how a guy like him had made her so happy- even much happier than she was from her past relationship. He wasn't exactly her type.

But it must have been his gravity that made her fall in love for him.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of her phone. She picked it up without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Baby sister! I miss you so much!" Her brother's voice boomed from the speaker as a smile grew on her face. She had almost forgot about her brother ever since quarantine, and she had remembered how she misses his presence.

"Aug! I miss you too. How're you guys doing?" She asked.

"I think I should be the one who should ask you that. How are you doing with lover boy over there?" August wriggled his eyebrows in fun. He has always been protective over his sister, but Calum seems to get his approval quickly.

"Calum." Ava's sudden change of voice made August stop his giggle. "His not feeling good."

"What do you mean? Like the I'm starting to lose motivation kind because I have a ther-" August starts to ramble on.

"No. It's the fever kind, August. The one where it could lead to the virus."

"Oh, Ava." He sighed.

"You gave him medication, right?"

"Yeah, his self-isolating himself in his room right now." She whispered while looking out the window.

"Well I hope his going to feel better soon."

A long dead silence occurred between the both of them as different kind of feelings rushed into them.

"But." He started. "I think that's not what's bothering you about."

Ava furrowed her eyebrows, waiting for his next words.

"I know you better, Ave. Tell what made you bothered about lover boy." August smirked as he leaned to his seat.

"It's just." Ava deeply sighed. "He's all I've been thinking about ever since we made it official. I'm scared."

"Scared of what?"

"To fall so easily and hard to the point where I can't escape when I need to."

"Ava." August murmured. "I know how infuriating that- boy is. But it's been like what? Years since he broke your heart which you finally mended for the past few months. And I can still see it Ave, you're still heartbroken. But you deserve to be happy."

The problem about Ava was that no matter how she felt secured from Calum's arms, she still feels a little bit uneasy from her paranoid thoughts. If she has to find that complete serenity, she had to find it within herself.