Chapter 9 - Part 2

Darkness overcame me, fear crept in through the thick wood around the office. Silent crackling blistered from the warm fire that kept the room uncomfortably warm. A table and two cushioned chairs were placed before the fire. Taking a comfortable seat, Albert gestures towards the seat adjacent. "Have a seat, your highness." Nervously, I placed myself before the fire. Warmth blows up from the hearth and causes my brow to precipire. "Forgive my rudeness," he smiles calculatedly, "With our departure of the Northern Clan things have become fairly hostile."

"It has been noticed from both sides," I nod in agreement. "Your decision came as quite the shock to us. I am only here wishing to mend that friendship again. You see," I sighed, "I'm not blind to Thaddeus' belittlement of our families' shared history."

A new lift of his brow brings a curiosity to his expression. "My grandson, whom you have slandered his name with treason, is promised the throne. This is only politics, your highness." His brows knit together in confusion. "Much like my belated daughter he will be wed to the Holbrook family, to you the crowned princess," he reminds me as if I had no knowledge of it.

"Yes, I am familiar with their desperate attempts. As history has set a precedence with your daughter, I'm surprised you trust him with her nephew." My mind blankens thinking of how close Thaddeus and Nicholas had been. Politics was what brought their fists down upon me all those months ago. "He has risked your lineage once, why trust him with it again?" I question.

"Princess, your trembling," he observes and my back stiffens. "Here, your grace," he retrieves a teacup from his side table, "it will calm your nerves, politics can be overwhelming for the inexperienced."

Clenching my fist, I freeze the movement of weakness. The warm tea had been brought in far before I had entered, steam still rised from the cup, but I had learned many times before to never trust a cup of tea. Taking a deep breath I wave a dismissive hand. "No, no, I'm fine. Thank you for your kindness."

Albert nods displeased but remained silent on the matter, hesitantly placing the tea down. His face is abruptly masked by this serious expression that runs a chill through my spine. "You are young, new to a politician's world. It cost your father all the kingdom's funds to search for you. Levying taxes has only brought more poverty to Alexandria. We can spare no more without compensation, it is a princess's duty to marry for her kingdom to prosper. We are offering to return a great deal of money that was given to us after he disposed of my daughter."

Gulping back the guilt of his truth, I squeeze the chair's armrests in frustration. It was all my fault in the end, I had brought Alexandria to despair. All the death and beatings, Thaddeus was desperate to salvage the kingdom, and Nicholas was greedily fueling him. "You mock my ignorance," I weeze.

A hand touches mine and I finch, looking up into blue eyes with eyebrows pushed together. Lord Albert is leaning forward in his chair, trying to console me. "This all must be very overwhelming, Princess, I only mean to enlighten you. Do not fret, I can return you to your father safely," he promises with a calculated but gentle smile. His eyes shifting to the door we had entered. It was clear that his thoughts were running through scenarios on how to supposedly rescue me from the kingdom's rebels. "A little rebellion never hurt any arranged marriages, it will do you both some good," he tries to coddle me.

I pull away from his touch in disgust. "It seems your own grandson has left you in the dark." I retort.

He sits in his chair glaring at me with uncertainty. His fingers grinding loudly against the armrests. "What am I not informed of," he questions through clenched teeth, clearly displeased with my reaction.

My cheek stings with a haunting reminder of Nicholas' slap. I laugh dryly, thinking about the truth. Nicholas is parading around, claiming to be engaged to a married princess. He will never be nothing more than a joke if any of this gets out. Thaddeus had to hide this from everyone because I was a shame to the family and I suppose I ruined his plans.