Chapter 2 - Part 2

Stepping out the entrance I ended over a fortnight ago, I'm blinded by the unfamiliar, hazy, morning light piercing between the buildings, and I close my eyes. Taking a deep delightful breath, I stretch out my arms, embracing the none candle light air.

Jeremy stumbles out behind me, laughter fills drunkenly as he attempts to squeeze out the door. Several women were still draped around him, their skirts tucked up revealing their legs and their corsets pressed tightly to their chests, pushing their breasts into their throats. They wobbled together, none appearing any more stable than the rest, and I'm shoved to the side with a harsh shoulder slam from one of the women. Stumbling forward, I glare back at her. She smirks confidently back. "Oops," she slurs, "Beg your pardon, doll."

Fresh air blasts into my face, lifting my hood up before I have the chance to retaliate. Octavius waddles before me, his aching knees bothering him this morning. Blocking the wind, he grabbed ahold of my lifted hood. He looked down at me, seeing the small child he had raised, innocent and weak. I saw a different girl reflecting back through his hazel eyes speckled with hints of green. She haunted me, she looked like a shell of the girl I once was. She seemed terrified and lost, yet amazed by all. Blinking away the image of the girl, he glared firmly at me, his usual look that meant he was being, the serious guardian again. "Stay safe," he commands, pulling my hood tight, letting it droop over my eyes, "and don't let this hood fall. Do you understand?" There was a panic in his voice, one I hadn't heard since the times I would fall asleep listening to the stories of my mother. He missed her, even tormented himself with gifting me a memory of her.

He is suffering, dreading the thought of parting ways from me yet again. "Yes Uncle," I reassure him, giving him a brave smile.

Seeming satisfied, he takes a hold of the horse's reins and mounts. A knot twists anxiously inside my lungs, and I cry out, "Where will you be?"

"It doesn't matter," he hollers over his shoulder, "You have your duties, and I have mine." Tristan guides my horse over to me and they exchange a look I couldn't quite understand. "We will be together again soon," Octavius promises me.

"I got her from here," Tristan announces, slipping his hand around my hip and pulling me close. Looking down, he gives me a cheeky smile.

With a confident nod, Octavius steers his horse over to the crowd of men, packing their horses for their travels. The early morning sun just barely reaches them from around the shadows of the buildings. After all this time, I had watched others depart through the basement window, and finally, I stood amongst the departing.

"Up we go, Chicken," Tristan grunts, while hoisting me up onto the horse. Patting the horses rump, he glances over his shoulder, "Leave your whores behind, Jeremy, we are leaving."

A wailing sob fills the air, the women are mock crying while Jeremy prys himself out of their hold. A bolder woman flicks her finger under his chin, batting her eyes lustfully. "See you soon," she hums seductively.

"Till next time ladies," Jeremy winks, and the women nearly moan at his response.

I shiver in disgust, and groan, "Do you have to be any more disgusting?" Looking away from the intimate sight before me, I run a hand along the fine hairs of the horse. My fingers tingle in soothing memory. Gabriel, Wilfrid. Where are they? Are they even alive? My fingers tremble and the horse whines in response. A thick tear trails down my cheek, exposing my thoughts. My hand clasps my chest, and the hidden necklace's rough edges press into my soft flesh.

Tristan glances at my teary face, and quickly flung himself up on top his horse. Steering himself over beside me, he reaches across. My trousers crinkle under his comforting touch. "Calm down, Octavius will be fine," Tristan assumes.