Chapter 6

A silence loomed throughout the entire car, as we drove to California. It was so strange. I kept glancing over at Jake who for the most part kept his eyes on the road. I didn't know how I should feel anymore. Jake was being secretive with me, and I bet it was just because of what happed at Panda's dad's (I guess you could call him her dad) house. He barely even talked to me when we stopped at the rest stops. I hated that he was keeping me out, I mean ever since we were little, we told each other everything. Now it seemed like he wasn't telling me anything. In fact, our entire friendship was a lie at this point. Jake was literally some super person and he had never even told me. I wondered if he could just fly us to California. I noticed him eyeing me from the rear-view mirror and then quickly looked away. Just what type of powers did Jake have? Could he read my mind? Was he actually even my friend or was he trying to kill me? My thoughts were interrupted when I noticed that the car was slowing down. Panda looked around defensively. I tensed also, not understanding why Jake had suddenly decided to stop. We pulled up to a relatively dense forest or what was left of it. It looked like there had been a forest fire from the smoke that was coming up. I wondered if this place had experienced the same natural disasters we had at home.

"I'm really sorry you guys, I know I should have told you earlier," Jake said turning toward us and turning off the car.

Panda glared at him and pressed herself against the passenger door.

"I really have to pee. I've been holding it for hours".

Panda dropped her shoulders in relief, and I relaxed a bit also. I didn't know what I was expecting Jake to say, but I scolded myself for thinking he could be up to something evil.

"Alright, guys we can walk from here. No peeking Panda," Jake said hopping out of the car.

"Really Jake," I said looking around.

"This place literally looks like a scene from nightmare on elm street" Panda chimed in.

Jake opened the door and helped us out.

"Look we've been driving for the past hour and there is no sign of a rest stop. Now I could pee in a bottle or something but I'm sure you two girls don't want to hear or see that".

"Well it wouldn't be much to see," Panda murmured.

"Alright, little miss sarcastic let me pee on you then".

"Listen bro save the kinky stuff for your girlfriend here".

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it again.

"So, you're fine just leaving your car here?"

"I mean you're welcome to stay inside by yourself".

"You know what that's probably the smartest thing I've heard you say this entire trip".

They both frowned at each other, a habit that only seemed to be growing now.

"Well you can stay with Panda if you want," Jake said to me.

I shook my head. I had to pee too.

"Well I'll go over here," he said pointing to a tree to his left, "and you can go there," he said pointing in the opposite direction.

I nodded my head and began to walk away from him. I walked until I was far from everyone's sight. I found it strange that I was reduced to peeing outside now. I tripped and fell on top of something while thinking. When I looked down to see what I tripped over my blood went cold. I thought I would lose my mind. I let out a scream as loudly as I could. I ran as fast as I could screaming until I bumped into something hard. I looked up; it was Jake (of course it was).