Chapter 5

I woke up to the sound of Jake's snoring. I rubbed my eyes and looked around my living room. It was a mess but for the most part, it was intact. I frowned. I was hoping that everything from the night before was nothing more than yet another attempt of my mind to lucid dream me to death. I thought over everything that had happened so far. It started with that weird message, then the vines, then it was an earthquake, and lastly, we met Panda. I ponded a moment. Did this girl really want to help us? Or was this some sort of trick? I was really hoping that I wasn't putting Jake an I's life in danger by letting her stay with us. Heck, we were even going to California with her and that could be a trap in itself. I was too busy in thought to notice panda sitting next to me eating a jimmy dean's breakfast sandwich.

"God these are amazing".

I jumped a bit when she began to talk to me.

"I wish my mom would buy these more often".

I looked at her for a second before responding with a confused smile.

"So, I'm guessing you want to know more about me?" Panda continued.

"Yes, I was kind of hoping for that".

Panda sighed and thought for a moment.

"I don't really know where to start. I went to Canyon Crest Academy, I'm a senior, or at least I was until I found out I had powers".

"So, these powers you have are new?" I asked.

Panda nodded her head and frowned.

"I was perfectly happy being a normal kid, then next thing I know I'm picking up rocks with my hand and destroying property. The only good thing about these powers is that it kept me alive from all this that's been happening," Panda said waving her arms around.

Although I was happy that Panda was being so open, I couldn't help feeling like she was still beating around the bush. Was she trying to feel me out too?

"Why did you attack us?" I asked finally.

"That was my bad," She said looking away a bit. "I'm really bad at making friends and I'm just a naturally defensive person. Plus, when I saw you guys, I didn't know if you were dangerous or not, so my first instinct was to fight.

I raised my eyebrows in question.

"Okay, well who told you about us? How did you know where to find us?"

"That one is easy, I saw a profile of you two on my mom's computer. Honestly, I didn't think you two would honestly be here, it was honestly just a hunch".

Panda eyed me for a minute with an expression I couldn't really read.

"Look I know you don't trust me, and honestly you have no reason to after all of that, but I am really just trying to figure out just what in the fresh fuck I am and what is going on. That way I can move on and try to live the most normal life I can".

I didn't know why but I believed her. She seemed like she was honestly just as confused as we were. Unfortunately, even if we didn't trust her, she was the key to ensuring our safety. So, at this point, we just had to keep our enemy closer.

"So, what about you? Do you have any powers?"

I shook my head.

"No, at least not that I know of".

Jake was waking up now, catching both of our attention.

"Good morning sleepy head" Panda teased.

Jake shot her a glare.

"How'd you sleep last night?"

"Terrible. Alane I told you I can't sleep on the floor it hurts my back. Just how am I supposed to drive, or God forbid WALK to California with a stiff back. You could have easily just had her just sleep on the floor!" Jake continued ranting for a while, but I had already zoned out.