Chapter 2

"Look at my new cell phone!" Jake said enthusiastically grabbing my hand.

"I've looked at it like a million times," I said irritation clearly in my voice.

As you, fine people all know Jake is my best friend in the entire world, but the dude really knew how to rub me the wrong way and it wasn't just his inability to be humble that made him hard to deal with, it was his everything. Unfortunately for me, Jake was extremely popular, and girls tended to just fling themselves at his feet. But I mean who could really blame them. He was perfect in every sense of the word. He was super smart his grade point average was a 4.0, and I mean that literally. He was an after-school math tutor for extra credit (not that he ever needed it) whenever he wasn't already staying after for sports. He was the captain of the boys' basketball varsity team, where his skills seemed to be unmatched. These' skills were only enhanced by his staggering 6'2' height. And when it came to track and field, he was superhuman. I felt like the complete opposite in every way. Sure, I was good at basketball, but it was mostly defense and I wasn't even the captain. My grades were decent, I had mostly A's and B's, but C's tended to slip their way onto my report card and really piss on my GPA. Also, I wasn't fast at all, in fact, I ran the 1800 and 2400 in track and even then I struggled. As for looks, well I'm not ugly (at least I hope I'm not) I'm about 5'6', with dark brown kinky hair, and a cute button nose. I'm a dark brown complexion and my skin, for the most part, is clear. But other than those attributes I'm pretty much average. Average dark brown eye color, below average breast size, and average fashion sense. My mom thinks I'm a hit though.

"So which route would the little miss like to take to school today?"

"The usual way," I said unenthused.

"What's wrong?" Jake asked.

"Nothing. Why? Am I acting weird or something?"

"I mean... no. You're just acting unenthusiastic about everything," He said slowing down a bit.

I avoided his gaze. I mean he was right something was definitely wrong with me. How was it just yesterday we were seeing weird messages about the end of the world? Was I just being paranoid or was there something strange really going on? I didn't want to seem like one of the crazy pro-planetarium people who were constantly going on and on about climate change and how it was going to destroy us all soon, but from the drills and the messages, we both saw I was seriously considering that something fishy was happening. In fact, I couldn't wrap my mind around how Jake was being so nonchalant about everything that had happened so far.

"If I tell you, you'll think I'm crazy".

"No, I won't," He said putting his arm around my shoulders. "Try me."

I Paused for a moment before answering. "Fine. When do you think the world is going to end?"

"What?"

"I do believe I was speaking English!" I snapped.

"I don't know," He said shaking his head.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me," I muttered.

"I never said- "He stopped.

"What now?"

Jake pointed to what he saw, and I looked over to where he was pointing. When my eyes laid upon where he was pointing, I was shooketh. My mouth flew open as I was glued to the position, I was in.

"Woah... one second you're walking to school and the next second... this..." his voice trailed off.

"Oh my gosh" was all I managed to get out.