Chapter 3 : Revelations

Start from the beginning

Both Eva and Adam were facing away from the front door, the only person who saw the man enter was Maddie. A sharp cough made the other two realise someone else had entered the room. 

A smirk came across Adam's face as he watched the colour drain from the woman's face. 

"Pack your bag's. NOW." The man's voice wasn't loud, it was deadly quiet and equally unnerving. 

He was tall, very tall, Maddie thought. He had blonde hair that was cut in an upper class fashion, showing his power and wealth. His clothes were just as superior, a hand-tailored suit to a fresh fit, they looked like they were out of a magazine, he looked like that. He had a gleaming silver watch clasped on his wrist and a golden ring enclosed on his other hand. 

His eyes momentarily left the scene in front of him to gaze at Maddie, she cowered behind the stairs as she felt his eyes gaze her. A look of surprise flashed across his face, but it was gone in an instant, before she could even wonder what it was. 

He grasped the face of his godson, inspecting it. He seemed to notice the slightly blue tinge to his face, the slap from the day before being the culprit. 

"She hit you?" Adam began to squirm slightly under his scrutinising gaze. 

"Tried to hit her too." He gestured his head towards Maddie who felt she could shrink no further into the stairs. The jaw of the man clenched even harder and a slight vein began to bulge slightly on his neck. 

Maddie was confused, she had grown up with hits, kicks and slaps. Why was this suck a bad thing?

"Go upstairs Adam." Adam didn't even question the man's but bounded up the stairs, not before giving Maddie a knowing look, something she couldn't quite figure out. 

The mystery man strode across the room to the doorway on the left, he gave the girl a fleeting look and a single head nod to incline her towards the door, following behind him. 

He walked fast, whereas Maddie trailed slowly behind him, aware of his mass. When she too entered the room he had she found him looking out the large window and across the ground.  It was obviously a study, with a large imposing desk facing into the room. It was strangely dark and not at all as homely as the rest of the house.

"Sit" When she made no move he turned away from the window.

"I'm not a dog"  He instantly fixed her with a cold glare that made her heart stop beating and made her feel like a mouse in her clothes. Maddie could tell he didn't like being spoken back too. 

She didn't make him repeat himself, instantly sitting in one of the large leather chairs facing the desk. It was rather large and seemed to swallow her frame whole, making her feel all the more vulnerable.

"I know where your uncle is." He moved back to look out the window, his back facing Maddie. Her ears instantly pricked up at the news, this was a result. She stared up at the mans back, intent on getting some information. 

"Where is he?" The man turned to her with a pitying look.

"He had an accident. He's in a coma in St. Victorias hospital in America, he's receiving the best possible care."

"Oh" Was all Maddie could say. After all she did he was in a coma anyway. She pulled her legs tight and allowed the silent tears to stream down her childish, pitiful face. She couldn't help it, even in-front of this man. She felt completely alone in this world, like a balloon, drifting off into the sky, never seen by anyone again. She had no-one to look after her, no-one to love her. She was completely alone. By herself.

 Maddie vaguely noticed the man in-front of her taking a seat in a more relaxed position, as if to ease her thoughts. 

"I knew him very well."