Chapter 10 -The Nails-

Reva POV

       After moving the stuff I had just bought into one of the empty bedrooms I decide to go downstairs and make a snack. However, when I reach the kitchen someone is already there.

I freeze in place and slowly start to turn around but I voice stops me in my tracks.

"There you are, I was waiting for you."
Well, shit. I grimace and turn back around to face the kid. She's standing with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face that makes me a little nervous.

       "Oh, um... what did you need to talk to me about?" I ask warily. She shrugs and hops onto the counter. "I dunno," she says. "I just figured it would be nice to spend some time with another girl." Okay, weird. Just because I don't enjoy socializing doesn't mean nobody else does.

       I twist my hands together to distract myself from the awkward situation. "Uh, right. Okay. But you should know that I'm not actually a girl," I say. Izzy's eyebrows raise and she sounds a little shocked when she asks me, "So you're a boy?" I shake my head.

"Well, not exactly. I identify as gender fluid. Biologically I'm female and I've been feeling a bit more feminine these past few days so I understand why you'd assume I was a girl," I explain. Izzy puts her elbows on her knees and rests her head in her hands. "I'm still a little confused," she confesses. I run my hand through my hair and try to think of a way to explain.

"Think of it this way," I start. "Fluid kind of means 'changing' right? So my gender is fluid, or changing. Everybody has different ways of expressing themselves and their gender. Not all gender fluid people are the same, but for me personally, that's what being gender fluid means. Some days I feel more masculine, and other days I feel more feminine. I dress and act according to how I feel is the most 'me.' Does that make sense?" Izzy nods slowly when I finish. "Yeah, that makes sense," she says with a smile. I smile back lightly.

"Well anyways," she continues, jumping down from the counter. "I don't care what your gender is as long as you're fun. Are you fun?" I look at her skeptically. "What's your definition of fun? Because mine is more along the lines of stalking a cute girls Instagram than going clubbing or some shit," I say. She snickers and rolls her eyes.

"I'm 13 dumbass. I can't even go clubbing," she exclaims. This time I roll my eyes and respond, "I know that. And you shouldn't be cursing." She raises one eyebrow at me. "As if you didn't curse when you were my age," she protests. "I know 7 year olds who curse more than I do." I sigh. "Yeah, fair enough."

As I finish speaking, Dom walks into the kitchen. "What's up ladies?" He asks animatedly.

"She's not a lady," Izzy announces while glaring indignantly at him. Dom's head whips around to look at me and his face is almost identical to the one Izzy made when I told her. I stifle a laugh and I look at him with a shrug. "I was explaining to her that I'm gender fluid. Do you know what that means or do I have to explain it again?" I ask. He shakes his head and grins. "No, no, I know what it means. I'm still exploring my own gender and sexuality. That's actually what my music is about. Bringing people together and creating a safe space where-"

"Spare me the speech, please," I sigh but my lips twitch upwards. "I've heard it before." Dom looks a little off put but nods his head. I see Izzy stifling her giggles behind her hand. Apparently he's never been stopped in the middle of his 'safe space' speech before. Well, first time for everything. Remember your first time? I'd rather not.

"Wanna do our nails?" My thoughts are interrupted by Izzy's question. Dom agreed excitedly and looks at me for my answer. "Sure," I say with a smile. Izzy pumps her fist in the air and grabs some stuff from the bathroom. Before I know it we're all sat on the couch with paper towels lining the table and floor and many bottles of nail polish lined up in front of us. And when I say many bottles, I mean she has an entire fucking rainbow. And not the rainbow with 6 colors. I'm talking about the floor to ceiling rainbow of colors that you see when you go shopping for paint. With the little paper strips of colors that all look like the same color and yet one is called "lilac sky" and the other is "lavender jazz."