The Sickness and the Cure

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1492

---

Morning came all too soon for Y/N, groaning as her bones popped within her sleeping bag. She was pulled from her slumber by the crackling grease and entrancing smell of breakfast. Hey eyes opened just enough that she could see which boys were up. She knew Doyoung was still asleep because she heard the snoring from her side. It only took a tiny head tilt to see the fire. Yuta and Taeil were sitting together, talking about something. Taeyong sat across from them, keeping the fire going in its early stages. Among the mutters, she started making out bits of conversation.

"Should we wake them up?"

"No, it's fine. The guys will get up on their own."

"What about Y/N? She might sleep for years."

"Yeah, but I feel bad waking her up..."

"Worst case, we can just pick her up and put her in the van, right?" This was met with tired laughs. She couldn't tell who was saying what, but she was already embarrassed. Once she was sure the discussion had switched away from that unnerving topic, she crawled out of the bag, stretching.

"Oh, Y/N! You're up!" Taeyong noted, calling her over. By the time she had risen, most everyone was awake. Taeyong, Taeil, Yuta, Jaehyun, and Mark were all standing near the fire. Haechan was clearly awake, but unwilling to leave his bag. Doyoung was sitting atop his sleeping bag, messing with some sort of metal contraption. Jungwoo was the only one missing- not in his sleeping bag or by the fire.

He explained that they weren't allowed to eat until their issue was put to debate and vote. Everyone groaned, trying to cut in. Jaehyun was the first to get his outburst through.

"Dude, I'm starving." He dramatically leaned over.

"Yeah, and Jungwoo is missing." Haechan added.

"He's not missing, you toddlers." Taeil reprimanded them. "He's just in the van."

"Y/N, would you mind going to get him? I'm worried Jaehyun might try to eat someone if we don't start soon." Yuta asked her politely. Narrowing his eyes, the other boy pointed.

"You're first on the list, Yuta." Eager to eat as well as get away from that little mess, she headed towards the van. A few wooden posts had been set up, so it wasn't hard to cross the river. Unable to see through the tinted windows on the car, she grabbed the handle and heaved the door out of the way.

Jungwoo was in the first row, holding two glass vials delicately. He had assumedly been about to combine them, but the loud slamming of metal jerked him out of his focus. The liquid spilled onto the car's seat, creating a soft hiss.

"Ah! Y/N! What are you doing?!" He asked, shoving the glass under his leg to hide it from view.

"They asked me to come get you for the vote. What are you doing?"

"Nothing! Just chilling!" He said, laughing awkwardly. "We should go!" Before she could argue, he catapulted out of the vehicle, running across the dirt and jumping the river to greet the other guys. With a sigh, she closed the door, starting towards the fire as well.

"Okay, just to reiterate-" Taeyong said, sitting down and motioning for everyone to follow suit. "We can either stay here and set up a permanent base, or we can head Northeast to the ocean and find an island." From here, the debate quickly sparked up. It sounded like Jaehyun was the only one really fighting the move to the ocean, along with Taeyong staying neutral.