Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14 (Pt 2)

Start from the beginning

Through Staff Meetings and the gossip at meals Snape learned that of the three boys Ronald Weasley was gaining the reputation of being "lazy and mouthy". The other two managed to keep their tongues to themselves around their teachers.

"One. Last. Chance, Mr. Weasley. Clean up that mess and gather the appropriate ingredients." Although he did not raise his voice, Snape words carried his threat very clearly to the boy. Snape moved away to look upon his other Gryffindor he had lately taken an interest in.

Neville Longbottom was slowly beginning to improve through regular study sessions with the Twins and Hermione. A standard complaint amongst all of the teachers was that Longbottom never read his textbooks. It was Harry who brought to Snape's attention that he thought Neville couldn't see the words in his books. It was rather worse than needing glasses; Neville could not read. Actually, he could read, but his level was barely above that of a seven year old boy!

Hermione had volunteered to teach Neville but Professor McGonagall felt the girl's own education might suffer. During her free period Minerva began to teach Neville his alphabet and how to write. Either the Twins or Hermione would read the next's day's class lessons to Neville so he did not get too behind in his magical work.

"I understand from Professor McGonagall that your memory faculty has much improved, Mr. Longbottom," said Snape coolly. The small boy, who so strongly resembled the Cherubs of Muggle mythology, managed a small, if slightly nervous, up to his teacher.

Neville's reading of his textbooks had gotten much better over just a few days, and with it his comprehension, his memory, had improved by leaps and bounds. He did not always understand, immediately, what his friends read to him, but he was listening more, and once his brain had a chance to cogitate the details, his understanding improved.

As if an accidental brush of his teacher's fingers touched Neville's shoulder, the man again spoke, "Prove to me what Professor McGonagall says, Mr. Longbottom. Brew a perfect potion, and I shall allow you to take it to your next reading class.

"Thank you, Sir," Neville replied softly. Harry, who was nearby and heard the exchange, sent a gentle smile to his teacher, his 'Dark Man'.

Snape moved once more amongst the first years. He monitored the technique (shaky, unsure, some over-confidant), and concentration (uneasy, too tight) to one's work. Even at eleven there was potential to be seen in a child. Snape was always looking for that rare student who cared enough about his work to do well.

"I wish I had a ruler," groused Harry to himself as he studied his poorly cubed ginger root; they were all different sizes.

Snape Summoned a new ginger root. "There is no precise measurement in terms of a ruler, Mr. Potter." He placed the Ginger root before the boy and held up the tip of his pinkie finger. "There is magic within ones hands, Mr. Potter," he instructed in a voice that only the boy could hear.

Harry could feel the importance of his teacher's guidance and so he lined up the ginger root to his own pinkie tip. He felt the tiny jolt of his own magic as he called upon it as he once more began to dice the ginger root. Using his pinkie as a ruler his cubes were much more uniform, and even though he did not have a Muggle ruler to rely upon, he knew he was cubing his root the right way.

The Potions Master silently swished away as Harry grinned at his triumph.

Moments later the slow, deadly voice of the teacher cut across the classroom halting all the work going on. "A zero, Mr. Weasley. Clean up that abominable mess," he glared down at the butchered ingredients.

"Those are the right ingredients!" protested Ron.

"That is a confusing disarray of a variety of ingredients, Mr. Weasley. No thought or care was taken and you have done nothing more than to destroy your ingredients. They are useless. Now," he sneered with a sharpness that had the boy thinking he might get killed with the anger in his teacher's eyes. "Clean it, and... Get. Out."