Chapter Three

The wind breathed through Ash's hoodie, sending goosebumps down his spine. His pikachu felt heavy in his arms, but his excitement overran the weight. Eventually, he stood in front of his home and fiddled with the door handle for a few minutes before taking the initiative of fully turning it. Walking into the house, he tried quietly shutting the door, but quickly abandoned the action as soon as he heard his mom's voice in the kitchen.

"It's only been an hour. Why are you back so soon, hunny? Did Gary get Eevee? How's Oak? Did you happen-" The stream of questions halted when the electrical mouse made it's way into the Kitchen.

"I dont think I'm going to give him a nickname after all. He seems keen on Pikachu. The entire morning was okay; Oak is as well, okay. Gary of course chose his Eevee." Ash replied calmly to each question he could. Now was the hard part. Pikachu climbed back into Ash's arms, feeling his anxiety rise. He sat down at the table and practiced his breathing. "Mom, I need to talk to you."

"Of course, hunny. What is wrong? Don't frown. You look better smiling." Ash's mom pinched her sons cheeks before sitting down across from him.

"Mom," Ash took one more deep breath before continuing. "I want to leave Pallet Town. I want to explore the region on my own. Well not like on my own of course. I'll have my pokémon to count on, but like-" Ash stammered out, not realizing his right grip on Pikachu until a small shock shot through his body. His grip immediately loosened to Pikachu's liking.

"Oh hunny. I know how hard it's been on you these past few years. The absence of a real father figure, the current gang action across the region, and this time when your body starts changing. I kno-"

"Mom, stop. Please." His cheeks dusted a deep mahogany.

"Where I was going was, I know it's time for you to depart from the nest. Just, I realized this time was coming soon, I just didn't know when. Just, please be careful." His mother start fanning tears threatening to spill over onto her high cheekbones. Her hand found Ash's cheek and she began gently caressing it.

"I know you're worried, but if it's any reassurance, I'll train up really strong Pokémon!" His mother's eyes swept down to the puny mouse resting in his arms. Ash followed her stare and realized she needed more reassurance. "I'll see to it to call in every town so you know I have not been kidnapped or sold to a gang, mom." Ash's voice faded away when he heard his mom chuckle.

"Ash, please, don't worry about me. I'll be perfectly fine. It's you that I'm worried about, darling." She dropped her hand and headed back off to the kitchen, "We're having an early-ish dinner. I'm inviting the Oak's over. I know I'm informing you in advance, but if you would like, invite Gary over until it's completed. We're having Chicken Parmesan tonight." Ash's mom mused from the kitchen.

Ash mulled over the option of having Gary over until dinner. It might be nice to have some alone time before their journey. Before they become rivals. He enters his mother's office and placed Pikachu down to survey the new room. He plays around with the mouse connected to the PC until its hovering over the Oak name. He finally presses the right click and listens to the ringing coming from the machine. Pikachi silently cocks his head to the side in response to the PC. Finally, he hears Oak's familiar voice drowning out the silence in the room.

"Hey, Professor Oak! Mom would like to know if Gary, Daisy, and yourself would like to join us for a chicken parmesan dinner tonight?" Ash asked, hearing Pikachu sniffing at the weird objects surrounding him.

"You know, I think I might be sacrificed if I dont take your mother up on that offer. The kids are sick of the options; take out or burnt cooking. Gary barely cooks anymore," Oak laughs and continues on. "Please do tell your mother we say thank you for treating us!"