Chapter One

Time is just a concept; yet one that holds such a grip on us as people.

Three years seemed to flash before Hoshino's eyes. His Tabi was over and he had returned to the village a changed person; physically and mentally.

Every long, grueling day had taught him something different, whether it was how to balance your entire body on one thumb, or how to just stop and listen. He didn't regret a single day of it. He could listen; he was so in tune with the world he lived in.

This world is quite astonishing, when you claw your way out of the mire of dysfunction. When you first peek over the horizon and see nature without the haze of discontent. Without any filter, with the naked eye and the brain open to the beauty of this reality, amazement comes.

It is the amazement of the baby when they first meet a dog, or see a leaf move in the wind. And when you see those simple things, when you can be in love with the small, everything gets so much better. The larger things become almost overwhelming, the sense of love so much stronger. It is then you realize that before you lived a half-life, greyed and without the warmth each human is born with.

Upon the hill he stood as still as the trees, not totally frozen, for just as their budded twigs move so does his long hair. His eyes were closed. Tousled blue ribbons whipped about his face; blown by air as fresh as any after a rainstorm. After several deep breaths he took in the view, from there the fields were laid out like one of Iro's quilts.

But instead of her magentas and cyans, it was the earthen colors of early spring. There are plowed fields of brown and the pastures that were still dull rather than having the bright hue of new growth. It was too early for this hill to have flowers, but Hoshino knew if he knelt on the wet blades there would already be the tightly folded petals in their green casings, swelling, ready to bloom.

These long walks in nature were his treasure, by sanctuary from the busy hubbub of his ninja life.

"In nature I can be who I am, just a person." He said out loud.

The trees do not expect him to be kind and selfless. The wildlife expects him to eat it should he be hungry and able to catch it. The wind does not ask for his words or my counsel. The soil does not rise to meet his boot or shy away. Here, he was simply the person who sees from these eyes and walks on these feet. He can release the labels and emotions he received everywhere else. He can leave judgement and expectations and just walk.

Some found it surprising that on occasion people just start walking and never come back, personally he found it odd that it was so rare.

Maybe we are a noble species after all, unwilling to abandon our responsibilities and loved ones. He mused.

He felt the earth and air shift around him, diverting his attention away from his thoughts. The birds sang a higher tune, the grass swept itself forward, and the wind seemed to whisper to him. 'He has arrived'.

Hoshino looked back towards the village, a smile growing on his face as he realized what it meant. He was back.

Uzumaki Naruto was back.

"Long time no see, Sakura!" Naruto said as he faced her.

She smiled as he laughed, and she took a long look at him. "Hey, you've gotten taller than me, haven't you?" She asked.

He looked down at her, like he had just realized this. "Oh- I guess you're right."

"That probably means you're taller than Haku too, now." She said thoughtfully, "And Hoshino as well, but he's grown quite a bit as well."