Chapter 18- Ava 2.0

*Avadele's POV*

   I'm not the one to do New Year's resolutions. I never really saw the point in it. But, considering the events that had gone down in the past few months, I felt like a change was necessary. I didn't wanna be that girl who had suffered so much or that girl who lived in the past. I needed to start fresh. What better time than now. I could leave all my pain and tears behind this year and, better yet, I could leave Geoffrey behind. I wouldn't let anyone push me around or play with me like I was some type of game. I wasn't going to be a doormat anymore. I was going to get off the floor and live my life. Ava 2.0.

        Carmine's was closing early today on account of New Year's Eve, so me and the rest of the staff were starting to close up. I was getting ready to leave and was counting my tips, alone in my own thoughts, until Mateo approached me, checking up on me as usual. It was nice to know that someone was so concerned about me, to be honest.

"You haven't talked all day.", he noted. "Except when you took orders."

        I hadn't even realized. "Really?"

        He nodded. "Really. Was your Christmas okay?"

        Today had been the only day I worked since then. I had called in sick, partly because I actually was sick but mostly because I wasn't exactly in the mood to face people since me and Geoffrey's little argument. Thinking back, it wasn't exactly an argument. I had basically lost it on Geoffrey, but only because I didn't want to fall into his little trap again. I just felt guilty that I had ruined things for Alexiel and Viri. "It could've been better.", I said with a sigh. "How was yours?"

"Oh, well, you know Italians. We go big. I ate a lot.", he said with a laugh. "But I'm fine and you're obviously not. So I'd rather talk about that...you know, if it's okay with you."

        Actually, it was perfectly fine with me. I felt like I needed to talk to someone. "I don't know, I guess I'm just tired."

        He raised an eyebrow. "Physically or mentally?"

"Both.", I admitted.

        He sighed sympathetically. "I wish I could tell you things are gonna be better soon, but I have no idea. I'm not gonna drive myself into your personal life, you know? Hey, if you still need to talk, I'm always here."

"Thanks, Mateo. I really appreciate it."

"No problem. That's what I do. Help people. Now, um..."

"'Now' what?"

"Hmm? Nothing. Never mind. Lemme stop being annoying now." 

"You're not, though."

        He smiled. "It's okay. I'll ask you later. You know, when you're a feeling a little bit better.", he said getting up to leave.

"No, its fine. Go ahead." I honestly didn't think I'd be feeling that much better anytime soon, besides, I was curious now.

        He studied me for a second before he spoke. "Well...", he started slowly. "I...I was wondering if I could take you out sometime. I mean, I know you just got out of a relationship and all and you have a son to look after and I respect that. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, Ava. You can say no if you want." This was the the first time in months that he seemed like he was unsure of himself. He came off as a very driven guy.

"Like...like a date?"

       Mateo shrugged. "I dunno. I said I wanted to take you out one day, you know, to get to know you and all but you think of it as whatever you want, Ava."

        I sat as I processed his words for a minute. It couldn't hurt, I reasoned. I had known him for a few months now. That wasn't enough to say I knew him completely, but it was enough to reason that he wasn't some psycho date serial killer. He was an all around nice guy and you couldn't help but feel a little better when he was around. He was charasmatic, I had to give him that. I still had to wonder a bit though, what was in it for him? "Take me out?", I asked him curiously.

        He shrugged again. nonchalantly but I could see his slight smirk. "I dunno. Dinner? A movie? A night on the city? Whatever comes to your mind."

"Yeah, but, like, why me?"

"Well, why not you? You're beautiful, smart and pretty damn interesting."

 "I doubt I'm any of those things."

"And I beg to differ.", said Mateo.

        I raised an eyebrow. "So, basically,  it's a date?", I asked.

"If that's what you wanna call it. " The little smile still hadn't left his face. "So, what do ya say?"

        Mateo had a way of getting what he wanted, but not in a manipulative way. He wasn't pushy he was just...well, persuasive, but without trying to be. I liked that about him. Ava 2.0, I thought to myself. The new Ava would take chances. I smiled. "Well, whatever it is, I'll say yes."

_______

oops, okay, yeah. i might've lied about the whole 2015 thing but ya girl could not get to sleep for the life of her so i stayed up to write. Plus, I felt like a short little transition chapter was needed, ya know? so, right now it's about 9 AM and I'm functioning on about two hours of sleep.

so, what does the new year have in store for Avery? Or should I say, just Ava and Royce?

please vote and comment. (:

love y'all and i hope everyone has an amazing new year