Chapter 31- The Truth

*Avadele's POV*

"...And so I didn't know if you wanted anything. I did bring your blanket, though. I know how much it reminds you of home.", said Mateo.

"The zebra one?"

He smiled. "Of course. I mean, I don't think you'll need it anymore..."

"Why do you say that?"

"You're getting out today, duh."

"I am?"

"That's what the nurse told me. You'll be free to go by the end of the day."

I was happy to get out of here. Hospital rooms are painfully boring after a while.

"Its sucked in here.", I told him. "And not because I was constantly nauseous and too sore to move."

He leaned and kissed me on the forehead. "But at least you're alive and pretty much back to normal."

I smiled. "You're right."

"And that's a really good thing because you're presence was missed out here."

I heard the door open. "Alright Ms. Mata. Time for a routine checkup to make sure everything is well and you're out of here.", said a familiar voice.

"Christina? Oh my God, it's been forever."

Christina came over to give me a hug. We had been in contact still but I did miss her. I hadn't seen her since Alexiel had been born.

"I would ask how you are, but you're laying in a hospital bed right now.", she said with a laugh.

"Well, for someone in a hospital bed, I'm doing alright.", I told her. "Oh, and this is my boyfriend, Mateo. Mateo, this is Christina, a friend."

"It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you.", said Mateo, giving Christina's hand a shake. She had been eyeing him suspiciously before, but I could tell she warm up to him in no time. He had that effect on people. Always making a good first impression.

"Likewise.", she replied. She shot me a look that signaled we would have to talk later. I was used to it. So far, everyone who was aware that Geoffrey and I were together were thrown off when Mateo came along. "So, how's the baby?", she asked, quickly changing he subject.

"He's great. He's getting so big now, I can't believe he'll be two in a month."

"Seems like just yesterday, huh? That's what kids do to you."

I nodded. "You don't need to tell me twice."

Christina laughed. "Here, let me get you checked up so you can get out of here."

"Yeah, I'll see myself out.", offered Mateo. "See you on the other side, Ava."

"So," said Christina once the door shut behind him. "Mateo, huh?"

"Yeah, I know, but me and G--"

She put a hand up to stop me. "I wasn't gonna ask you anything about Geoffrey. I swear. Its not my place. You two obviously didn't work out, so now here you are."

I felt a little relieved that I didn't have to explain myself for once.

"He seems nice enough. He's a character, I'll give him that."

"He's a really nice guy.", I agreed.

"But are you happy?"

"Yes. Of course.", I told her. It wasn't a lie.