Chapter 2 : Godfather

Start from the beginning

"Hey" Maddie attempted to reach for the vial before he placed it in his bag out of view. He quickly stuffed the swab in her mouth when she opened it to protest again. 

As soon as he had got what he wanted he immediately went to the door to leave the house and Maddie was still in the dark. 

"What do you need it for?" Hoping that he could reveal any part of his secret to her.

"That doesn't matter now" A clipped voice sounded from behind her. She immediately recognised the voice as the cold woman. 

"Who are you?" 

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Where's my uncle?" Maddie pestered, not liking the oblivion she faced. 

"Stop asking questions child" She tried to bristle Maddie's concerns under the carpet, instead of answering she turned to the kitchen intent on busying herself. 

"Where is he?" Maddie moved to the kitchen and stood on the other side of the kitchen with the best glare she could muster on her face. She had to admit, though, that she didn't look very intimidating. Stood in shorts and a striped t-shirt, standing at a slight 4"6 and with an innocent baby face it would be hard to find anyone over the age of seven that would be intimidated. 

The woman still remained quiet, she ladled some porridge out of a pot before putting it in a bowl with a spoon. She put the bowl down hard in-front of Maddie, the sides sloshing almost over the edge. 

"Eat" 

Immediately Maddie began to eat, she was ravenous. She hadn't eaten properly in days and a constant pit of hunger had become a constant feeling in her abdomen. She ate so fast that any faster would have been a blur. 

The second she finished the bowl the women refilled it, Maddie thankful no words were exchanged. Once again she devoured the second bowl, the bland taste didn't register with her as food was food at this point. 

The stairs creaked as Maddie continued eating and the boy from early that morning re-appeared. This time with more clothes on; scuffed jeans and a t-shirt. 

"Hello people" He was rather cheerful for it being early in the morning and the disgruntled sleep but he settled beside Maddie at kitchen island. He didn't opt for the bowl of porridge instead slathering some toast thick with raspberry jam. 

"Adam, what have I told you about those clothes" the women admonished. Adam, that was his name. 

Adam looked back at the women and shrugged, seemingly not at all bothered by her complaint. "I like them"

The women looked entirely unpleased with the boy, instead of picking a fight she stalked up the stairs to a different part of the house. 

"Don't mind her. She won't be here long. How old are you?" Maddie realised he was talking to her and decided to try and pry information from him instead. 

"12" he shot her a disbelieving look which she was used to.

"Who is she?" 

"My godfather employed her as a housekeeper. Mr. Tom was the old one, he was much nicer but his arthritis got too bad and he had to quit." he finished, still munching on his stack of toast. 

"Do you know where my uncle is?"

"Who is he?"

"I don't know" That certainly raised his eyebrows. 

"You came here all distressed looking for your uncle, but you don't even know who he is?" Adam questioned, confused at this strange child. 

"I know him, just not his name. He said it was too dangerous to tell me until he was able to take me home."