And every step for him was heavy.

Every night in the house they used to live together after Fairy Tail once disbanded, Jellal found his bed to be cold and lonely. He missed her gentle arms that he dreamt was wrapped around his torso in his hold as much as he longed the scent of her. His room was filled with roses he used to give her, but their scent had turned to nothing since her color drained out of her face.

The petals of the roses were an array of enchanting red but to him, they were only shades of grey. Nothing could compare to her red lips. Her lips were alluring red that reminded Jellal of a ripe cherry. He remembered the deep curve on her lips that made his whole world stopped around her–a smile that brought back a million of memories in a split second. Rae King had a smile that made him felt happy about being alive–just a little bit human.

Jellal really missed her, not seeing her for a year had been more tough when he realized he won't be able to see her ever again. Rae had once told him to find another on her last breath and he just couldn't understand. How could one find another if his heart was with another person? No woman had been the object of his desire in the last year. And he doubted he would find another.

Without her, everything in his life seemed to be empty and blank.

"When you were with me, the nightmare stopped. When I had hoped that one day you would come to me and stay, you were my medicine. These days the pain ebbs at first thought of you, then multiples and I want to run, Rae." She's gone and he missed her with a pain that sat in his gut like so much fire burning slow. Those flames belonged in his heart, in his soul, yet no more.

And no one had ever replaced her, no one ever would and can.

"I want to run to you, Rae."

"Just as I thought, you are here." A new voice joined him and Jellal didn't even mind to lift his head to look at them, already recognized the presence by the voice. He gazed at Rae's name and smiled, shrugging his shoulders, saying whenever something was bothering him, he would go there to spend his time with her.

Erza tucked her red hair behind her ear slowly and took a deep breath, sweating a little bit as she was about to tell him something that didn't make sense. "I have something to tell you." Upon hearing the seriousness in her tone, Jellal raised his head and turned his attention to her, wondering what had happened in Fairy Tail that caused her to look that anxious.

He knitted his eyebrows. "Is something alright? Is Haruka fine? What happened? Is Lucy having some sorts of trouble? Is it about Bella?"

Erza adored how he quickly thought of the pink haired girl when she told him that. Jellal even asked about Lucy. He really cared about her and Erza softened her eyes, Rae did a good decision to be together with him. Jellal was great in many ways, since she was gone, he was the one who would check up Haruka and Bella–to see how had they been doing–sometimes, he even invited those two to go on jobs together.

She changed him to a better person.

No, that was incorrect. Rae didn't change him. She guided him with her light and darkness. Rae proved that everyone had their own dark side and they can use it for good. She led him to the goodness he had been missing for a long time ever since he was fooled by Zeref's worshipping thing. And through that, both of them fell in love with each other but fate just kept them apart.