Chapter 23: Captivity

Start from the beginning

"Calm down first and listen to me. I've been thinking about this for so long and I might regret this."

Mingi had no choice but to calm down. He rested his fore arms on the bars as he looked at San with suspicion. "Talk."

San moved forward to close the distance between them. "I'll help you escape, but not now."

"You serious? You've taken me here by yourself and now you're going to let me go? Is your brain damaged?"

"I did that for a reason. I have yet to earn the trust of the king." He told him. "Before I have taken you, I was already ordered to take the cursed man of lust and kill the angel. However, I didn't do it."

"Why didn't you?" Mingi queried.

"I don't know. That was the first time I've disobeyed an order from the king. The angel you're with... It's like she cast a spell on me. I couldn't kill her even if I am told to. I told myself I would only take you all and leave her unharmed but as time passes by my thoughts just told me otherwise. I knew she would hate me more when I take one of you so I didn't want her to have even more hatred towards me."

Mingi raised an eyebrow as he gave San a smug look. "I didn't know ghouls could get stunned by her as well." He let out a laugh. "Wow. The power Gabrielle holds."

San went silent.

"So that's your reason? You're siding with us because of her?" Mingi asked.

"Not only that. I'm also just sick of how I'm living." San replied. "I'm tired of living as someone's lapdog just because they raised me. This time I'll do things my way."

"How will I know you can be trusted?" Mingi asked again. He couldn't just trust San easily. He's a ghoul after all. The king's favorite.

"No strings attached. Just trust me. You'll see when you do." San shrugged his shoulders, fully confident.

"Is the cursed mortal awake?" The King's voice was heard outside the door, startling San and Mingi.

"Yes, your highness. San has just entered first." The guard said.

San looked at Mingi and nodded his head. "Act like we didn't talk. Trust me."

Mingi looked at the door and then back at San who walked away to lay his back on the wall. He swallowed a lump on his throat before mustering up his anger.

"Are you deaf!? Bring me your king!" Mingi yelled as he tries to reach for San who looked unbothered. "Listen to me, you bastard!"

"What's all this noise?" The King asked as he entered the isolated room of cells. Mingi finally saw how the king looked like. And this time, his anger isn't fake.

"Let me out of here, you son of a--"

"Language, mortal." The king said as he looked at him in amusement. The way the king smirked down at him fueled Mingi's anger. He reached for the king and managed to grab him by the collar. Mingi grabbed his neck and choked him.

"Get him off me!" The king yelled in panic, his hands fighting off Mingi. San instantly rushed in to break the contact. The king was pulled away and he held on his neck while he regained his breathing. "You're going to regret that, you lowly mortal."

"You're going to regret bringing me here. I'll bring my hands back to your neck and kill you with your head blue." Mingi threatened, his voice laced with venom. Even so, the king just laughed at his words.

"I like your spirit. Keep fighting. You're all going to be at my side in the end." He looked at Mingi's furious stare. "Aren't you liking it? Being the pillars of your own sins? Being the kings of your own sins? You'll be the kings of helping the mortals submit to their sins. You'll be powerful."

"The heck would I like that? Eat that up and be the king of those sins by yourself. You're not handicapped, right? Do it yourself." Mingi spat. "Powerful, my ass. I have tons of companies out there. I don't need power for that nonsense."

The king nodded his head with a smug look. "The angel must have got ridden of your curse, right?" He asked and turned to San. "Show me his mark."

San stepped forward and gave Mingi an eye contact.

"Come near me and I'll kill you." Mingi emptily threatened. San pulled him by the collar. "If you resist, I'll bring your girlfriend here and chop off her head in front of you."

And as if Mingi's scared, he submitted to San and let him pull the collar of his shirt, showing his mark that has faded.

This made the king laugh. "That wench is really something, right?" He looked at San. "I still couldn't understand how you failed to bring her here."

"As what I have reported, your highness, the angel was not with him when I came. He only came alone to see his girlfriend." Mingi looked at San and knew how he lied that Gabrielle wasn't with them. He really covered her up.

The king nodded, remembering his report. "That's okay. As long as you brought one of them here. You're remarkable as always, San." He patted San's shoulder with a proud smile. "Next time, I want her head and I want the rest of these cursed men to be complete. I'm sure Seonghwa is helping you. You're working on it, right?"

"Well--"

"Yes, your highness!" Seonghwa's voice interrupted San from replying. He entered the room with a confident and cocky smirk. He stared at San who looked annoyed at his presence.

"San and I have been planning on looking for them. Right, buddy?" When Seonghwa attempted to place his arms around San's shoulders, the annoyed ghoul swatted his hand away before he could even place it. Seonghwa just laughed at the gesture. "Are you on your period?"

"Shut up." San just muttered, completely not happy with this scenario.

"Then that's good to hear." The king looked happy at the two collaborating. "I'll expect this to be quicker. We really need them all before the eclipse next month. I'm counting on you two."

"Yes, your highness." San and Seonghwa replied.

"Oh," The king looked at Mingi who was silently observing the three of them. His observing face was concealed with a look of anger. "I want you to feed this mortal first. Then afterwards, we'll get the procedure ready."

"Procedure, your highness?" San asked.

"The procedure to get his curse back." The king replied. "We have to put things back on the road."