{ loss }

words: 359

-

He wasn't dead.

They were all lying.

She saw him every day.

He walked beside her and teased her relentlessly.

He jokingly bickered with her in the auburn glow of the campfire.

She didn't remember the battle they told her of.

She didn't remember the whispers about a shroud of Hermes that trickled through her wall of indifference.

Because if she did - if Katie let herself comprehend a world without him for even a second - it wasn't a world worth living in.

Everything was muted. The formerly bright orange of her tee-shirt was nearly brown. When she glanced at her reflection in the mirror, the shattered, murky green eyes that stared back at her terrified her.

So she shoved the thoughts away.

As far from her train of thought as possible.

It wasn't smart, she knew that. But grief didn't attack her based on her smarts. It attacked her because of how she put herself on the line.

She had opened herself up more than ever before, sharing secrets and suppositions, worries and fantasies.

And then the person she'd told them to - the person that had allowed her to be happy and more carefree - was dead?

She refused to believe it.

And no one forced her to, for a while.

She acted like he was just visiting his mortal family, or on an easy quest.

And they didn't contradict her.

Until days passed.

Then weeks.

Then months.

Until he started to fade from her view, the color seeping out of him and the rest of the world.

And all of the sadness - all of the pain - that she'd built a wall to keep out for so, so long came flooding in.

But then he was there.

Somehow, someway, that she was too shocked to care about.

He was there, gripping her hand.

He was there, drying her tears.

It hadn't been months.

It hadn't been weeks.

It hadn't been days.

It had been hours.

Even the prospect of a world without Travis in it had caused her to spiral into panic and despair, losing the concept of time completely.

But then he was there.

And he wasn't going anywhere.

-

yes, i know, awful title

pretty bad oneshot, too, if i do say so myself

hear me out, though: when i'm as sad as katie was portrayed in this shot, i do lose the concept of time sometimes, so it's not that far-fetched. i guess. kind of

i don't know if i'm still on hiatus for this book (or my others), but just really slow updates currently

sorry :(

i'll try to be back to normal soon!

bye!

~~