{ string - soulmate's au }

words: 800

-

Prompt: Every person has a string connected to their hand that starts out clear but becomes pinker as you meet/grow closer to your soulmate, until eventually turning red. The string will lead in a direction, but it won't be clear as to who it's connected to until it becomes completely red. The process can be sped up by projecting lots of emotion at a person's soulmate, be it love or hate or something in between.

-

Travis wanted a red string.

He didn't particularly care about the whole 'soulmates' idea, because he believed that your soulmate didn't need to be 'decided by the universe', but after Connor's string had finally reached its maximum hue with a girl named Lillian from Hecate cabin, he started to feel left out.

His string had been a light pink, growing slightly darker every year since he was twelve, which meant that he already knew his soulmate, but wasn't very close with her.

All the girls he'd dated over the years had eagerly watched both their strings to see if red would magically appear, but that never happened, and it was obvious that his string led in a completely different direction from them.

He was starting to lose hope.

Even though both of their siblings had found happiness with their respective partners, Travis was partially glad that he and Katie were in the same boat.

Of course, he thought that she of all people deserved to have a soulmate to be there for her and to help pacify her anxieties, but he couldn't help but be happy that he wasn't alone in not having found his soulmate.

He also, may or may not, have had a tiny crush on her.

Travis also knew, however, that no matter if he wished for her to be his soulmate or not, she would never accept it. Even if the 'universe' decided it, he could picture, as clear as day, her disgusted reaction to them being soulmates.

As if on cue, he heard the usual early morning scream that signaled Katie's awareness of his most recent prank.

What she didn't know was that he only pranked her for attention, but that was beside the point.

"Stoll!"

"Yes, Katie-kat?" Travis approached her leisurely from the Hermes table in the dining pavilion, bagel in hand.

"Hair dye? Again? And don't call me Katie-kat." she was fuming, her green eyes blazing with a beautiful fire that Travis loved seeing every day.

"I don't know, Kates, I thought it really brought out your eyes."

"Ha ha, very funny," it was obvious that she didn't find it even remotely funny," Now, how do I get it out?"

"Well, you see, there's one slight problem in the 'removal' department, Katie-kat."

Travis yelped as vines appeared seemingly out of nowhere and jumped out of the way as they tried to wrap around his ankles.

"And what might that be, Travis?" her voice was steely calm, a stark contrast from her previous yelling, and it made Travis even more nervous.

"I...threw out the removal instructions before I read them. And used almost-permanent dye."

Katie marched slowly closer to him, her small army of vines close behind her.

She got right up in his face, vines trailing the way up his legs, and was about to say something, probably along the lines of 'I hope you burn in Tartarus, Stoll,' but instead, glanced down at her right hand with a cry of surprise.

Her right hand that now had a bright red string connected to it.

Her right hand that now had a bright red string that connected to Travis's left hand.

Travis attempted to hide his surprise and delight, and most likely failed at both, but Katie was still staring at her hand in so much shock that she probably wouldn't have noticed if a meteor crashed into the earth directly next to her.

Recovering much faster than someone who supposedly wanted to be enemies and nothing else with Katie five minutes previous, Travis casually looped an arm around her shoulders, "So, soulmate of mine, what now?"

"I thought you didn't believe in all this soulmate stuff?" she didn't struggle away from him, so that was a start.

"Uh-well, you see-"

"Can it, Stoll. If you wanted to ask me out, you could've. But not after pranking me every day. Why do you even do that?"

"To...get your attention."

Katie rolled her eyes, but in a less enemy-like way than previous times, so Travis took it as a motion to continue.

"I love to watch the way your eyes light up when you're talking about something you're passionate about,-"

"Ask me about gardening."

"-and I figured you'd never want to talk to me if it didn't involve arguing."

"And why is that?"

"Because we're enemies."

"Things can change."

"Yeah, maybe they can."

They stood in a contended silence for a bit, processing all that had happened, before Katie spoke up once again, "So how do I get the dye out?"

"I told you, I don't know- Ow! Fine, the instructions are in my cabin." he flinched away from her at a sharp jab in his side.

"Good, now I don't have to murder my soulmate."

"Well, that sure is a bonus!"

"Oh, shut up, Trav."

"As you wish, my dear soulmate."

-

heyyyy I told y'all I would get a longer one out sometime lol

the only reason I did a soulmate's au is because I had no other ideas oops-

this isn't that great, but I hope y'all liked it, nonetheless!

bye!

~~