Chapter 133 - Birthday Surprises

Start from the beginning

 "Well then," Scrimgeour said, unravelling a scroll, "The first is to Mister Ronald Billius Weasley, I leave my delluminator, in the hope that he will remember me when he uses it." He handed Ron something that looked like a silver cigarette lighter. "Do you have any idea why he might have given this to you?"

 Ron shrugged, "Put out lights, I suppose."

 Scrimgeour nodded. "And would you say you were close to Dumbledore?"

 Ron spoke without thinking. "No, not re-"

 "You're being modest, Ron," Hermione cut across, but the damage was done. "Professor Dumbledore was very fond of you."

 Scrimgeour sighed and moved on. "To Miss Hermione Jean Granger, I leave my copy of the Tales of Beedle the Bard, in the hope that she will find it entertaining and instructive." Scrimgeour handed Hermione a battered leather book with Runes inscribed on the cover. "Did Dumbledore ever discuss means of communication through code with you, Miss Granger?"

 "Don't insult him!" Al said suddenly, "Dumbledore wasn't stupid. If he was going to pass on a message he wouldn't do it like that."

 "I did not mean to offend you, Miss Dursley," Scrimgeour said, remaining calm, and Al shut her mouth.

 A few tears dripped down onto Hermione's book. "He didn't," she said, "He just knew I loved books."

 "To Miss Alexandra Rosalind Dursley, I leave my moleskin notebook, hoping it will preserve my memory and remind you to trust, and to love." Al rolled her eyes and accepted the notebook, which had a little metal plaque wrapped around the side with a small screw through it, sealing it. It looked brand new. She put it down on her lap and looked back up, almost straight away. "We have not been able to open this notebook, Miss Dursley," Scrimgeour informed her.

 "No?" she asked disinterestedly, "Maybe that's the point. I should trust him enough to not read his thoughts."

 "It looks brand new," Scrimgeour pointed out.

 "Professor Dumbledore was a careful man," Al said, her words dripping with venom, angry that she had had to come to his defence. Trust and love - what kind of message was that?

 "Finally to Mister Harry James Potter," Scrimgeour continued, "I leave the snitch he caught in his first quidditch match as a reminder of the rewards of perseverance and skill." Scrimgeour pulled out the golden snitch from his bag, and Al instantly saw what he was doing, and what Dumbledore was doing. Snitches had flesh memories, and Harry had caught it in his mouth. It took all her will not to smile at the thought of Dumbledore chuckling away in the afterlife. "A snitch is a very good object to store small objects in - you know why I'm sure?"

 It was Hermione that answered. "Snitches have flesh memories."

 "Correct," Scrimgeour said. "I have no doubt that Dumbledore may have enchanted this so that it only opens at your touch." All was quiet. "Take it."

 Harry hesitated, looking into Scrimgeour's eyes. Do it, Al thought to him, It'll be fine, just do it. Harry didn't acknowledge that the message had gone through, just took it. As predicted, nothing happened. "Dramatic," Harry said coolly, and Al snorted.

 "Dumbledore also left you a second item, Mr Potter," Scrimgeour continued, "The Sword of Godric Gryffindor."

 "Where is it then?" Harry challenged. Al thought about why Dumbledore would even bother putting it in his will, when the Ministry would obviously confiscate it. But then she realised - he just needed Harry to know that he'd wanted him to have it, so that Harry could get it himself. She was brought back into action when Scrimgeour pushed his wand into Harry's chest.

 She jumped up and raised her wand at him, daring him to do anything, but Hermione stopped her. "Do you want to give him an excuse to arrest us?"

 "I'd like to see him try," Al growled, stowing her wand away nevertheless.

 "So it's true then?" Scrimgeour asked, "You do have a special power?"

 "I don't know what you're talking about, Minister," Al said coldly, "I was referring to the fact that I'm a champion duellist." She wasn't referring to that at all, but he didn't need to know that.

 Mr and Mrs Weasley hurried in to see Scrimgeour lowering his wand. "Is everything alright?" Mr Weasley asked breathlessly.

 "Fine," Scrimgeour said, grabbing his cloak, before turning back to Harry. "I regret your attitude." He strode from the room, and Al only put her wand away after Mrs Weasley announced he was gone. She picked up the notebook and looked it over. In the middle of the screw was a tiny hole, but other than that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. She stuffed it in her pocket - she could inspect it later.