Chapter 9: Get Out Alive

Start from the beginning

The gunshot, or course, got the attention of everything else in the school. "Damnit!" Joel shouted, obviously irritated as he pulled out his shotgun. "Ellie, stay behind me!" He followed up with, following the teenager quickly. Y/N was on a killing spree, keeping his gun steady as he dropped everything running at towards him. Eventually he was out of ammo, though, and there was still a couple infected left.

He threw the pistol at one clicker, hitting it dead in the face. Using his advantage, he rushed the clicker, grabbing it by the arm and throwing it into the runner that was charging him. With them both together, he slung his rifle into his hands and fired one shot, killing them both. He let the rifle drop, resting itself behind his back once more as he picked up his handgun, reloading it quickly.

More shouts came from the building, proving that there were even more infected in the building. Before Y/N could head off, Joel grabbed his arm. "What in the hell are you thinking?" He asked, looking the boy dead in the eyes. "You coulda gotten all of us killed. Get your head in the damn game." He lectured, letting the boy go and heading off towards their only path, a classroom. Ellie came up to Y/N, a worried look on her face. But they couldn't stop and have another conversation, that would have to wait.

Joel led them into a classroom, where they were able to quietly take out two more infected before moving on. It took them a bit of running, but they finally made it to what looked like a dead in with some infected roaming about. The runners weren't a problem, it was being left with nowhere to go that was. Joel looked around, sighing in relief when he found a door. He went to open it, feeling a large amount of resistance on it. Something was blocking their way.

"Help me get this open." He said to Bill, moving so they both could push the door open. They were able to force the door open enough so everyone could squeeze through, then Joel and Y/N barricaded the door back up. There was a moment of safety as they found themselves in a gym, with no infected in sight. "This ain't gonna last for long, lets get out." Joel said, after taking a second to catch his breath.

Almost as if on cue, something slammed from nearby, causing the group to look over to a door. "Oh you've got to be shitting me." Y/N said as they were all immediately on alert. The door was slammed open and a giant, armored infected came stomping out. "Oh fuck." Joel said under his breath, but there was a very different reaction from the two teenagers. "What the fuck is that?!" They both said as they took cover.

The bloater tore off a sack of spores and chucked it at the group, releasing spores all around them. "It's a goddamn bloater!" Bill answered, loading his shotgun frantically. "A What?" Ellie asked, moving cover with Y/N as more spores were thrown at them. "Ellie, Y/N, take cover!" Joel called, grumbling to himself slightly. "I got this." He muttered, loading his shotgun as he vaulted the cover in front of him.

Joel did a good job at keeping his distance and avoiding the spores, but that also meant that the shots weren't hitting as hard as they could. Ellie and Y/N were still behind cover, a little worried for Joel. "I gotta help him." He muttered, looking at Ellie. "Damnit." He said softly, pulling his rifle into his hands and peaking around the corner. Y/N got onto a knee as he saw some runners making their way into the gym, and he took two shots to take them out easily.

Once they were down, he held his breath and aimed at the bloater. In one shot, the thing staggered slightly. He had nailed a pocket of spores, causing some armor to be blasted off. Joel used this advantage to fire in some more rounds, damaging the Bloater well. More runners started pouring in, but this time Bill took care of them. Y/N fired into another spore, leaving another opening for Joel. He noticed the bloater struggling, so Y/N let his rifle drop and rest. He pulled out his combat knife, flipping it slightly and throwing it.