Chapter 5

Peeta's P.O.V.

My eyes slowly open to see only embers remaining of the fire, thin shafts of buttery light slipping through the small windows lighting the house. I look to the side at the peaceful form of Katniss sleeping beside me, her breasts rising and falling with each breath she took. Instantly, lusts races across me, but I push it down with a growl, not wanting to tire both myself or Katniss out with my hungry ways.

Instead, I gently brush the hair off her face, admiring her beautiful face. Her eyes peel open, blinking blearily into the morning light.

"Hey..." she says in a sweet, sleepy voice.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you," I say. Katniss puts her arms around me and cuddles into my chest, possibly trying to steal my warmth.

"It's okay." I smile at her mumbled response, the words nearly swallowed up by my chest. I only pull her closer, even if my wound whines in protest.

"Tell me something," Katniss says, gray eyes falling closed as she breathes me in.

"Like what?" I ask her, a finger tracing her cheeks, forehead, lips, and nose.

"You tell me about you. I want to get to know you better," she says. I blink, the amount of surprise I let show. Looking into Katniss's peaceful face, her dark lashes brushing against her cheeks, I can feel my guard tumbling down. So I unlock the deepest door in my memory for her, willing myself to relive the awful dreams and scenes.

"Well," I begin, her eyes opening to peer into mine, "my family died from an attack of.... Slayers..."

Katniss rears up, not an ounce of thought going to her breasts that perk in the chill morning. I try not to stare at them, or her pebbling skin as she speaks.

"Peeta ... I.. I'm so sorry." I smile softly, beckoning her back to me silently.

"It's fine, really. They never really liked me anyway," I say.

"Were you always a vampire?" she asks curiously, laying back down beside me so her warmth spills into me again. I nuzzle my nose against her skin, my breath brushing there as I continue down the road of memories.

"No...no I was conceived as a human and then a vampire bit my mother, but also put a curse on me," I say. I look up into her eyes, into the worry that dampens the silvery gray of them. My lips brush against her cheek in comfort, but I wasn't sure if it was for her or for me. "I have this rose. When it was first handed to me, it was pure white, like fresh snow," I say rubbing the side of Katniss's arm with my hand. "As days and years go by, each of those petals unfurl into a red one until it will be a fully blooming rose."

"What happens when it turns all red?" she asks me.

"Well, I turn mortal and die," I say. She looks up at me, startled, but her eyes soften as she looks into my sad ones.

"I don't want you to die," she whispers, putting her hand on my cheek. I lean into it. "How can the curse be broken?"

"Love," I reply as my eyes close, taking in her scent. "Someone needs to love me - not just say they love me, but love me for who I am," I explain. I laugh a little. "Nobody needs me, the rose just proves I'm right."

"I do, I need you," Katniss says and leans in to kiss me. I kiss her back but pull away after a while.

"Katniss, I......I know you don't want to hear this but - I still think you really need to go, this can't happen." I take a deep breath. "We can't be toge-" but Katniss cuts me off, her palm shoving into my chest.

"So, what was last night, then?" she cries, pulling away from me. Anger and hurt fill her eyes. "Were you just using me?!" Her eyes turn cold. "No wonder nobody loves you," she says angrily, and starts pulling her clothes on, head shaking ruefully. I stumble up after her, quickly pulling on my own clothes as she yanks the door open.