Chapter 2

Peeta Mellark's P.O.V.

"No," the man says, eyes pleading with the girl.

"Gale, I have to," she replies, her voice strong and brooking no argument. She walks over to the girl, whose eyes were just as pleading as Gale's.

"No, you don't, Katniss." He glares at me, that gun raising to right between my eyes until I can stare straight down the barrel. "You can't take her as a prisoner, I won't let you," he says, knuckles white with his tight grip on the gun.

"Watch me," I say. His face turns red as I step towards Katniss, the girl turning around just in time as he lunges forward with a fist. I slip to the side, watching with faint amusement as he gets Katniss right in the jaw, even as I wince at the oomph that leaves her lips.

"Katniss! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" Gale asks, putting his gun into its holster. He steps towards her, hands raising to try and check her. She takes her own hand off of her face, revealing a scuff mark on her chin, and a dribble of blood from her nose. The scent cloys my nose, sweeter than honey.

My eyes widen, and I quickly unlock the cell with Prim inside. The cat leaps forward and out, disappearing down the hall instantly even if it could've escaped earlier. I ignore its tiny form and grip the girl's upper arm, pulling her out. Taking the hint, Katniss brushes a kiss to her sister's forehead before walking into the cell by herself, resignation and resolve mingling on her face.

"Go!" I yell at the man and the little girl, the scent of the blood setting off fireworks in my head.

But Gale stands his ground, defiant as Prim clings to him, staring at her sister forlornly.

"GET OUT! You are banished, and if you do come back onto my land I will kill you with my bare hands!" I say. The delicious tang of blood continues to raze over my senses, and I could tell bloodlust burned in my eyes. Wanting.....to kill her. But I can't. Not yet. I have to control it.

Gale points his gun at my head. "Gale! Stop!" Katniss yells, voice cracking.

He looks me dead in the eye. "Why should I?" he asks. I just stand there, waiting for the inevitable.

"Gale....put. The. Gun. Down," Katniss enunciates, hissing at her friend. "Hurry up and get Prim out of here!"

Why is she saving me from Gale? I don't understand. It takes a minute but Gale moves the gun from my head, his arms falling dejectedly to his sides.

"Go, Gale... I'll be okay..." Katniss says. I stare at Gale and he stares right back, anger brimming in his eyes.

"Come Prim..." he says, and the little girl stares at Katniss, mouth quivering with more tears. "She'll be okay.. we just have to trust her," Gale says looking back at the woman in the cell. She nods, whispering a goodbye to her sister as they quickly leave, disappearing down the staircase. I let out a pent up sigh, shoulders tight.

"Can I have something for my face?" Katniss asks, voice quiet.

I swallow hard, look away, and nod. What do I get her..... ice? I've never helped anyone before, never had a human who needed things for wounds since they couldn't just heal. I go down to the kitchen and grab Katniss some ice, quickly going back up. I toss it to her. If she questioned why I stayed several feet from her, she didn't say anything.

"Thank you," she says and presses it to her face. I stand there. Longer than I realized I have been.

"Anything else?" Katniss asks me, breaking the silence. I shake my head and rush downstairs.

What the heck was that Peeta! a little voice in my head says. Don't tell me you..... actually see something in her. I shake my head and get rid of the thought.