Prologue

Vampires are escorted by peacekeepers out of their homes and apartments, rain drenching the atmosphere. They make their way to the gates as some mortals walk out of their houses to witness the act, families clinging together to watch the pale people trudge away. The raindrops hit the vampire's faces as they walk.

Me, my 8-year old sister Prim, and my mother, all make our way out of our home and stand on our small front porch, rainwater clinging to every edifice of our clothes and skin. I glance at the vampires, gray eyes tracing their sharp features. One of them catches my eye - he has beautiful blue eyes and blonde hair, his gaze shifting around his surroundings. I think his name is Peeta, but I can't remember his last name.

I've always had a little crush on him, to my eternal horror. Whenever I saw him walking around District 12, I would pause to stare at him and take in his careful demeanor and strong muscles. I would always get a little afraid that he might hurt me, though his eyes never held any angered emotions. Still, I would run home to the safety of my family and push the vampire from my mind. I don't know what it is about him that I like, because I shouldn't like vampires.

My father used to slay such vampires since he'd been Reaped, enjoying the thrill of the hunt. It all came to a standstill, however, when he was found dead one day, the very blood drained from his body. I know that he wants me and my sister to follow in his footsteps, and as much as I want to make him proud, I have a feeling about it. Just... odd. I can't put my finger on it. Somehow...something will happen when I become a slayer. I don't even know if I will be Reaped as one. I am not the only girl at 12. I doubt I will be one of the 20 who is picked. But who knows? And if I am, I will make my father proud.

Time Skip; 4 years Later

~Reaping Day~

Prim and I wash up for the annual Reaping, nerves a stuttering beat in our veins. I wear my mother's old reaping dress that is a pretty baby blue, the hem of it brushing my thighs. My mother helps me put my dark hair up into a braid and bobby pins it to the back of my head.

My sister wears a white blouse and a beige knee-length skirt, and her blonde hair is put into two braids. Prim mewls her discontent for the Reaping again, and I don't blame her. She's too sweet and innocent to be killed, even if they are vampires or mysterious creatures, it will ruin her.

She doesn't even like the fact that we have mouse traps in our house. She says that they don't deserve to die that way, they were just looking for food and living their life. I couldn't disagree with her, but all animals, humans, and mysterious creatures have to die someday.

We go downstairs to eat when I finish, and I inform my mother that I was going to the Hob to buy something before the Reaping.

I walk through the Hob, admiring all the shops and stores and bustling people. I stop at greasy Sae's and say hello before I go to the merchandise shop and look around for anything to give to Prim. I find a pin, one with a Mockingjay sitting on an arrow in the middle with its wings wide, ready to take flight. I rub a finger along the smooth metal, a memory coming to the fore from long ago when I was younger.

The pin reminded me of when my father would take me out to the woods - he would sing to the Mockingjays with his beautiful voice and they would twitter right back, the tune the same yet a chorus of a dozen different throats.

Those were the peaceful times, the ones before he would help me train to become a Slayer. He had made both himself and me a bow with a quiver of arrows, along with some for a boy named Gale. He used to train with us out in the Woods right up until my father died, and then Gale stopped showing up. Gale's father and my father were really close, since Gale's dad had died a few years before mine did. He and my father had grown rather close during those times, so when he died he couldn't handle all the sadness and death.