Chapter 3

Peeta's P.O.V.

A month passes smoothly for the human, but for me, not so much.

I watch as another dove-white petal slowly unfurls into a red one, the velvety texture taunting me with it's beauty. My days are drawing to an end, it seemed, that death hovering so close over my head, even in my immortal years. I have no hope of anyone falling in love with me and breaking the curse - not in this castle; not in this lifetime. Only the people who have stayed by my side would make this death less lonesome, the servants and Careers alike. I know they hate me as much as I do, since I'm not the most caring Master. I got that from my mother.

I hear something unfamiliar to me, something I'd never heard in the castle before. Curiosity drags me into bat form, a single flash of light hiding the painless transformation. I hover for a few moments, adjusting to the wings and smaller body before I swiftly swing to the source of the sound.

And there - Katniss freely walks, laughing at something one of the two vampires said. The only sign I get that Johanna and Finnick notice me is a small glance to my hiding spot in the shadows, high in the alcove of the ceilings.

How? I ask myself, staring at Katniss's bright face. How can she be so happy? It defied all logic. I had taken everything from her: her home, her friends, her family, and any possessions. Even her life is now held between my cold hands, the phantom blood that stains them making me feel more shame than ever before.

I push the thought from my mind, drifting down until I shift right in front of Katniss. A thrill runs through me as she jumps, eyes widening.

"What is this?" I ask, looking to the vampires bracketing her.

"Oh, Milord," Finnick says, nodding his head in greeting. "We are showing Miss Everdeen the many great accomplishments of your line, Milord."

The great accomplishments of my line? You mean the people who doomed me to this fate, doomed me to a rose that is going to end my life?

"Ah, I see," I say anyways, voice tight. All I can see is that rose, a living timer of my lifespan. I would have to kill Katniss before that happens, spare her from the fate of the Careers taking her.

"However, she is a prisoner, and you're my slave's....so take her back to her cellar and go back to your work," I say sharply, staring at the human woman. She stands straight, staring right back into my blue eyes. I look away.

Finnick and Johanna dip their heads, the only amount of a bow I allow them as they grip onto Katniss's arm gently.

"Yes, Lord," one says.

I watch them walk away, Katniss obediently following. Yet, the mortal turns back around, waving her hand and offering a small smile. Without noticing, I smile back. As soon as her gaze dipped to my mouth - to the fangs I'd unknowingly bared - it turned into a tight-lipped grimace.

What are you doing Peeta? a voice in my head asks me. I quickly walk away from the hall.

A few hours later...

Should I go talk to Katniss? She had seemed happy before, even willing to be nice and smile at me. Should I be nicer to her? I knew that my demeanor hadn't been exactly welcoming to the mortal since she'd arrived, but being near her always made my stomach churn with bloodlust. I supposed that I shouldn't actually like my prisoner - that I shouldn't cater to her needs like my servants.

Maybe I should just go talk to her. Yes, I'm going.

As soon as I stand from my chair, the door swings open, emitting a smiling Delly.