Chapter 12

~~~

~~~

The group of six headed out towards the Maze at a steady pace to make sure the other's that weren't so suited to run like this could keep up.

As they ran through the maze Mariah looked around admiring the familiar walls as she ran past breathing in the moist yet slightly humid air of the maze bringing a smile on her face as the wind blew through her hair as she ran. This was the rush she loved feeling back when she was first a runner. This feeling of adrenaline, it was a drug that Mariah wouldn't mind getting addicted to if she felt like this all the time. For the first time in a while she felt free, she wasn't trapped in the four walls of the Glade. And no matter how much she loved it, nothing could beat this feeling. In fact, the only thing that could beat it was the feelings she felt when she was around Newt.

During the twists and turns of the maze, Mariah let her mind wander a bit before it just focused on Newt. What they were she wasn't sure, but she knew she felt something for him, something strong. He meant the world to her. Without him, she wouldn't be the same girl she was today. He helped her through so much and during those times she fell for him without realizing it until recently. And she was almost sure he felt the same since he technically said he had feelings for her when he first kissed her. She wanted to know where they stand honestly and planned on asking him once she got back.

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she noticed Minho stop making her follow in his footsteps slowing her pace as she stopped beside him looking towards where he was staring before she froze at what she saw.

It was a dead Griever, a real one. That sounded stupid but still. Mariah gulped down her spit feeling Winston place a hand on the small of her back walking forwards with her encouragingly silently telling her that he was right next to her.

As the group walked closer flashes of Mariah's changing flashed through her mind along with memories of that day. Newt's scared face as the Griever approached them. Him screaming out her name as she pushed him out of the way taking the needle to her stomach. Newt picking her up as the Griever retracted after stinging her, running towards the Glade yelling for Clint and Jeff the moment he entered.

She breathed out shakily shaking her head pushing away her depressing thoughts. She wasn't affected by the blood and gore that was the squished Griever, didn't affect her.

"That's disgusting," Zart said bluntly making Mariah snort from his blunt disgusted tone

"Hey, there's something in there." Thomas pointed out making Mariah glance towards him in confusion

"You mean besides a Griever pancake?" Frypan bluntly asked

Mariah closed her eyes trying to take the situation seriously but it was hard since she was always one to get amused easily and Frypan's comments weren't helping her in this situation.

Mariah breathed out calmly calming herself down whipping away her emotions as both she and Minho stepped towards the Griever at the same time with Mariah slightly behind him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, wh-what are you two doing?" Zart asked the two as they both beside of the Griever with Minho standing in front of her with Mariah right behind him in case he needed help with anything sharing a glance that told each other just exactly they had in mind without even saying anything.

Minho reached his hand in searching around hoping to grab what they spotted before Mariah's instincts kicked in and she quickly grabbed the back of Minho's shirt pulling both him and her away from the Griever just as it sprung to life once more causing them all to gasp while Mariah and Minho stumbled after Mariah tripped on her own two feet as she pulled both herself and Minho away from the creature.

Winston caught Mariah while Minho was able to stay on his feet only stumbling.

Mariah looked towards Minho in shock exclaiming "I thought you said that shucking thing was dead Minho!"

"Was it a reflex?" Zart questioned

Mariah closed her eyes feeling annoyance build up in her "Zart, I love you, but please shut your mouth."

Zart nodded grimly "Yes ma'am."

The group turned back towards the Griever before Thomas spoke up walking towards it "Okay, come on, let's try and pull it out."

Mariah snapped her head towards him saying sarcastically "Yeah cause giving the Griever a helping hand by pulling the thing out that could easily kill us sounds like the best idea at the moment!"

The rest of the group ignores her comment besides Winston who gave a sympathetic pat on her shoulder before helping.

"All right, let's go, everyone get a hand on it. Come on." Thomas commanded as he grabbed on to the thing before looking back towards Mariah "You gonna help us or let us do this by ourselves?"

Mariah deadpanned "I'm thinking about it..."

Thomas stared towards her until she let out a groan tossing her head back making her way towards them couching beside Thomas and Minho grabbing a hold o it without saying a word while Thomas stared towards her with a small smile before he spoke up "All right, ready? On three."

Mariah gulped tightening her grip on the Griever's leg as Thomas counted down "One, two, three."

She pulled as hard as she could along with the other boys and after a bit of work the group of six finally managed to pull out the leg of the creature. Mariah yelped stumbling back with Thomas catching her just as she fell. She looked towards him with him giving a small smile towards her. She panted slightly before smiling back towards him.

The group got up quickly after that with Thomas pulling up Mariah with him. Mariah moved towards Frypan offering her hand helping him up "You okay, Fry?"

Frypan smiled at her ruffling her hair as he stood back on his feet "Yeah thanks, Mar."

She nodded before they all focused their attention back on the Griever's leg in front of them.

Minho looked towards Mariah and Thomas sharing a glance before Minho walked closer to the Griever picking up a part of it holding it up showing that something was in it giving off a faint beeping sound.

Mariah frowned walking over to him standing by his side watching as he pulled it out of the flesh surrounding the device causing the Zart to let out a disgusted groan. Mariah looked towards him with a raised eyebrow and that was all it took to shut him up as she turned back towards the device Minho was holding up.

"What the hell is that?" Thomas and Mariah chorused causing the two to look at each other slightly startled before looking back towards Minho

Mariah felt unsettled from the quiet yet steady being sound emitting from the device.

Minho examined the device with Mariah looking it over as well before she moved her hand stopping his as she spotted something. Minho looked towards her flashing a smirk at her discovery.

"Interesting..." Minho muttered looking at the number on it, it was a 7 shown in bright 7 along with the letters on it that Mariah recognized.

"Okay, whatever it is, can we take this up back at the Glade?" Frypan spoke up catching their attention "'Cause I don't want to meet this guy's friends."

Mariah nodded "He got a point."

Minho nodded as well "It's getting late. Come on."

The group shared glances before they all started back towards the Glade as quickly as they could.

~~~