Chapter 27

~~~

~~~

Mariah was slowly awoken to the sound of Thomas yelling at a crow making her raise an eyebrow as she kept her head rested on Newt's chest tiredly. Newt looked down towards her with a soft smile kissing her forehead lightly "Mornin' love."

Mariah smiled moving to place a kiss on his cheek "Morning Newt."

Newt smiled before sitting up with Mariah following keeping her place on his lap as he turned towards Thomas with the smile dropping asking "Are they gone?"

Thomas didn't glance towards Newt as he answered looking around "Yeah, I think we're safe for now."

Newt nods slightly keeping his arms wrapped around Mariah

"Okay, we should get moving," Thomas suggested, "Let's pack it up. Aris, come on. Fry, Winston. Let's go."

Mariah frowns as Newt got up pulling her with him before Winston groaning caught her attention noticing him struggling to get up. Mariah rushed to his aid noticing the bandages she put on had blood staining through the fabric making her frown before giving a smile offering her hand to him "I'm sorry I can't do much more than wrapping it up..."

Pulling himself up with Mariah's help he ruffled her hair once he was on his feet giving a weak smile "It's fine Mai, you did your best to help me and I know that, don't beat yourself up about it."

She frowned "But if I-"

Winston cut her off placing a finger to her lips "Shush, no buts what happened, happened and we can't fix that, alright."

Mariah nodded giving a sigh as Frypan came to the two telling Mariah that he got him if he needed help and to go back to Newt. Mariah offered one last smile towards Winston before moving back towards Newt.

Newt gave the girl a soft sympathetic smile when she got to his side. He knows that out of everyone Mariah was most defiantly the closest to Winston out of the group and that she felt guilty she couldn't do more to help her close friend. Newt wrapped an arm around her shoulder giving a squeeze "You did the best you could to help love, and he appreciates that."

Mariah nodded "He said the same thing."

"Let's get moving," Newt told her pushing her in front of him

The group climbs over wreaked concrete blocks between the intact columns and walkways. The group gets to the top emerging into the sun and stare in horror at the ruined post-apocalyptic city. The group steps over a tiny stone wall with Newt gripping Mariah's hand as they stare out to what would have been a main street between mighty skyscrapers, now shattered in ruins.

On the ground, the group files along the street lined with rumble. Looking around Mariah frowned at all the ruined buildings and structures surrounding them.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan questioned

Mariah gripped Newt's hand as he replied "I don't know. But it doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time."

"I hope the whole world's not like this," Aris spoke up

Mariah nodded in agreement "Agreed..."

"Whoa, whoa, hang on, stop." Thomas spoke up making the group freeze looking towards him in confusion "Do you hear that?"

Mariah raised an eyebrow hitting back a comment as she heard the sound of an aircraft making her tense just as Thomas says "Get down! Everybody hide!"

Mariah gripped Newt's hand looking around quickly before spotting a place to hide dragging Newt with her hiding under the rumble with the others following behind piling in the small spot just as the aircraft fly overhead.

The redhead let out a breath of relief watching as it flew overhead in slight awe yet fear. Newt gripped the girl's hand bringing her closer to him protectively.

Mariah felt her other hand being held and turned to see Teresa looking towards her with fear in her eyes. Mariah frowned before giving the best reassuring look she could to the girl gripping her hand before letting go of Newt to comfort the scared girl by placing a hand on her cheek resting her forehead on hers "We'll be okay, T. We've been through a hell of a lot worse than some stupid people looking for us, okay, and if anything I'll protect you okay, I'm not gonna lose you."

Teresa smiled at the girl placing her hand over Mariah's giving a gentle squeeze "Thank you M."

Mariah smiled a soft smile until Minho spoke up ruining the moment "They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?"

Mariah deadpanned looking towards Minho with a glare "Yo, shut the fuck up."

Newt elbowed her "Language."

Mariah looked towards him with a pout mocking him "LaNgUaGe!"

Newt rolled his eyes at the girl before moving out into the open once more dragging her with him which caused her to drag Teresa with them as Mariah hadn't let go of Teresa's hand yet.

Mariah soon let go of both of their hands as the group kept moving forwards up a pile of rubble and debris.

"Everyone good?"

Mariah sighed before flinching feeling her hand get cut on a rock "Fuck."

Aris who was in front of her turned around looking at the girl in concern "Are you okay?"

Mariah looked up from her hand and gave a smile "Oh yeah, I'm fine, I just scratched it, no big deal."

Aris frowned looking towards her hand seeing te blood "You sure? I'm pretty sure I have some bandages in my bag if you need them."

She shook her head "Thank you but I'm fine, really. I'll bandage it and stuff next time we take a break."

Aris looked at her for a moment longer before giving a sigh and nodding continuing on his way. Mariah sighed dropping her smile cradling her hand as blood continued to pour out of the wound. It wasn't all that deep but man did it bleed. She bit her lip wrapping it in the bottom of her shirt as she continued to climb only using one hand now.

Soon the group got out of the city into the desert climbing up sand dunes once more. Mariah couldn't count the number of times where she's almost fallen backward and tumbled down the dune if it wasn't for Newt's tight grip on her hand tugging her every time she almost fell.

"A little further, guys."

Mariah frowned feeling her foot slip about to fall if Newt didn't grip her hand pulling her up and towards him more. "You know for someone usually really graceful, you seem to almost fall every five seconds."

Mariah glared towards Newt giving a pout at his teasing comment "Oh hush, I just hate sand..."

Newt smiled slightly at her before holding her hand helping her the rest of the way up on the large sand dune. 

~~~