Chapter 6

~~~

~~~

"He's been stung," Gally said shakily "In the middle of the day?"

Mariah frowned loosening her grip as Newt tapped her shoulder singling that the boys need to take him. She got up with Newt and Gally quickly taking over as Mariah crouched down beside his head using her shirt to wipe away the blood on the side of his head.

"Help me, please," Ben muttered quietly making Mariah frown in sympathy but she already knew what was going to happen. He broke a major rule here in the Glade and needed to be punished no matter if it was an effect of being stung. "Please. Please, just help."

"Put him in the pit," Alby commanded as he stood up pointing towards the pit.

Newt turned towards Mariah, "Little help here."

Mariah nodded as they picked him up Mariah grabbed both his wrists keeping them in her grip as he thrashed around trying to break free

"Come on, everybody help. Take him to the pit."

Everyone gathered around helping the three while Mariah kept her grip on his wrists helping them carry him towards the pit with a frown on her face.

"Please no! You don't understand!"

Mariah frowned "Oh trust me, out of everyone here I think I understand..." Mariah muttered biting her lip glancing towards Newt who was already looking towards her

Ben kept screaming and yelling for them to let him go but no one listened as they threw him in the pit. No one liked doing this to anyone in the Glade. Once he was inside Mariah stood by Newt's side looking towards him "You think that could have been me if I didn't get the help I needed..."

Newt glanced towards her with a grimace "I would like to think not but... I can't guarantee that, you know yourself that being stung makes you do things you would never do. But if I know you well enough, I feel like you'd be able to stop yourself, you're strong enough..." He glanced towards Mariah flashing a smile "Plus you're way too stubborn to let something let you go out of control and hurt someone."

Mariah nodded giving a small smile towards Newt before he wrapped his arm around her pulling her towards the Homestead limping as he went making her frown even more as they walked inside and in his room. "I'm so so sorry... That's all my fault..."

Newt looked towards her seeing her looking towards his leg making him sigh shaking his head pulling her closer to him placing his forehead on her own "What I did that day, was in no way your fault Mariah. I was hurting and I didn't know how to deal with it... Look even if you were there to stop me from doing what I did, that means I would have died anyway. You saved my life that day Mariah. The day we were running and we saw the Griever, I panicked and had no clue what to do and because of that I almost got bloody stung, but then you came and saved my life taking the sting for me... Then you went through the changing even if we got you back in time to get help..."

Newt breathed out looking in her eyes "I did that cause I felt so guilty. I felt horrible about this whole maze even before that happened and I thought about doing it so many times I could picture it in my head what would happen, how it would all play out. I thought for sure that you were dead and it was my fault, Mariah. That thought alone tore me to pieces, that I was the reason you were dead, that it was my fault you were stung because I panicked and didn't know what to do..." Newt looked away from her eyes

Mariah bit her lip "I did that cause I couldn't live without you Newt. At that moment in time, everything froze and I could only see the look of fear on your face as that shucking monster came closer. So I did what I thought was right and honestly, I'd do it all over again... Just to save you... But in doing that I... you almost..."

"I said it once and will say it again, what happened that day was nowhere near your fault, never has been, never will be," Newt said focusing back on her face noticing she wouldn't meet his eyes. "Look at me, Mariah."

Mariah gulped shaking her head "I can't..."

Newt sighed before using one of his hands to cup her chin making her look up at him. His eyes flickered between her lips and her eyes with Mariah noticing "Look I hated the thought of losing you, Mariah. At the time you were the only reason I hadn't done it before. And yes thinking you died was what pushed me over the edge but you still saved me in the end, Mariah. No matter what you may think alright?"

Mariah glanced down for a quick second before meeting his eyes once more giving a nod making him smile down at her "Now that you understand that, can I do something selfish? Just this once?"

Mariah looked confused before nodding "You can always be selfish with me Newt, I really don't care, as long as you-"

She was cut off by Newt as he smashed his lips on her own making her gasp and before she realized what was happening he had already pulled away and was looking towards her slightly sad "Sorry... I just really wanted to do that, but you don't return my feelings so-"

She cut him off by doing the same thing he did wrapping her arms around his neck pulling him closer as their lips collided together moving in unison against each other. Before the two pulled away slowly looking at each other before they kissed again more fiercely this time letting out all the hidden emotion, passion, love, longing all into that one kiss. Mariah slowly backs up before she felt her back hit the wall of Newt's room. Newt moved his arms up and down her sides caressing her body as he went as Mariah's hands were entangled in his hair pulling at it occasionally making him groan slightly every time she did it.

The two were so entangled each other they didn't notice the knocking at the door only pulling apart when they heard someone speak up "You know it took you long enough you two, it was the pep talk I gave you last night wasn't it?"

~~~