Chapter 47: Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

A stunned silence followed her confession. Slightly taken back, for Lavanya always had something to say, Khushi's eyes wavered to her best friend.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I am trying to figure out what it is that you are not telling me."

A line appeared on Khushi's forehead. "Why would I hide anything from you?"

"You tell me... Because as far as I know, there will never be a day when Arnav isn't ready to forgive you."

Even though it was meant to be comforting, Khushi couldn't help but feel even more miserable after hearing it. Because Lavanya was right; Arnav always forgave her. The fact that he didn't right now meant there really was irreparable damage. 

Could their fight get any more worse?

Lavanya's phone suddenly flashed with an incoming call. She silenced it absent-mindedly. "Why don't you go talk to him again?"

"Who is calling you? Aman?"

"Yes. Please don't change the topic."

"I am not. But since there isn't much you can advise me about literally in the middle of my brother's sangeet, let's talk about this later. Go see what Aman wants first."

Lavanya couldn't argue with that. Pressing her lips, she disappeared into the crowd. Khushi had just resumed watching the last performance, a romantic dance by the radiant bride and groom, when she felt a pair of soft hands tug on her blouse.

"Your hooks are undone," came Arnav's voice in her ear, while he gently pulled the blouse close. "Have you been walking around the entire evening like this?"

Khushi gasped, his warm presence catching her unaware. She waited quietly until he was done –her stomach in knots– before saying:

"Is that concern or possessiveness?"  

"I don't see how the two are any different," he responded, stepping forward to stand beside her, his shoulder slightly grazing hers.

Khushi bit her lip. "I suppose in your case they would be the same thing."

"They aren't in yours?"

"It's more complicated than a yes or no answer."

"Isn't it always?"

"Are you answering my questions with questions to make a point or to avoid having a real conversation?"

Arnav paused, no doubt biting back a snarky response.

"So I guess it's the latter," she muttered, crossing her arms.

"I am just trying to rephrase my thoughts, in case you accuse me of posing another question."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine I won't accuse you, as long as you tell me where this conversation makes us stand." 

"What do you mean?"

"I mean we screamed our lungs out at each other less than three hours ago, and it wasn't in the cute bickering-like-an-old-couple way."

He kept his eyes on the stage.

She pushed on. "And now, like very mature adults, we are giving each other a cold shoulder... so basically, I want to know how long it will be before things go back to the way they were and I am once again the clueless and utterly stupid girlfriend?"

"When did I say you stopped being one?"

"Stopped being what? Clueless and utterly stupid? Or your-"