Chapter 38: The Small Things

"Thank you so much for coming man! It was nice to finally meet the girl who managed to steal your heart – for good."

Khushi smiled warmly in response, while Arnav shook his head and said, "Stop ruining my reputation Arjun – the media is in a desperate need of gossip these days."

Arjun laughed. "Aren't they always? I'm just surprised you even found her. I mean looking at your track record, I was convinced you would forever be alone and single."

"At least it was better than your nonexistent one."

Arjun grimaced. "Easy there. It's my wedding."

"That was me being easy."

Khushi sighed. It was a waning Saturday night in Delhi where she was attending the lavish wedding reception of Arnav's close friend, Arjun Basu. Of course, when he had first invited her to the function with him, stating that the latter will murder him if he showed up without a date, Khushi had refused point blank. She hated weddings, let alone appearing in one as Arnav Singh Raizada's girlfriend.

But when had she ever won an argument against him?

After endless bombardment, she had no choice but to relent. To her great surprise, however, Khushi found the party quite enjoyable. Arjun and his newly wedded wife, Shruti welcomed her warmly, while other guests kept up a continuous string of never-ending stories about Arnav in his college days. By the time they had to leave, Khushi had collected enough ammunition against him to last her for a lifetime.

"Sorry to interrupt," Khushi said, breaking up the two men, both snickering at a joke she missed. "But what do you mean by "track record"?"

A mischievous smile lit up Arjun's face. "Oh, you only had to ask."

"Time for us to go," Arnav cut in, snaking his arm around her waist.

"You have my number right?" Arjun jokingly asked her.

Khushi grinned and gave him a thumbs-up as Arnav firmly led her out of the reception hall towards the entrance of the seven-star hotel. 

"Well that wasn't suspicious," she said sarcastically, after he instructed the valet to bring his car.

Arnav winked shamelessly in answer. "Some things are meant to be in the past. Besides, haven't you heard enough stories about my life at Harvard already?"

"You were the one who forced me come here, remember?"

"Yes, I do. But I'm starting to reconsider that given how rivetingly you got along with Arjun."

Khushi smirked. "Jealous?"

"Not in the slightest."

"Liar."

He looked at her, eyebrows raised. "Are you kidding me? The guy is married. Why on earth would I even think about being jealous of him?"

They were interrupted by the arrival of his sleek black BMW. Khushi waited until they were safely speeding away from the hotel, before replying:

"Marriage means nothing. Look at the man who gave birth to me."

"Khushi," Arnav said, seriously. "If I had to rank all the people I know based on their likelihood of cheating, you wouldn't even be on the list."

She looked at him, not following his point.

"An alcoholic's son will never drink," he explained. "The same way a cheater's daughter will never cheat on someone – they know too much about being on the other side."